Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the MotoGP riders doing enough....

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Are they worth all the money and attention they get...i'm beginning to think not..
    Today i watched two cracking WSB races from Assen...after being involved in a few track days at mondello i have to take my hat off to the fitness of these guys..its exhausting (for me amyhow)..:o
    So it got me thinking about MR's Rossi ,Stoner etc and the fact that they only have to carry out one race, usually around 25 laps...or 45 minutes.
    The WSB guys do this twice within a couple of hours....
    Even in F1 the drivers do a heap of laps with pit stops etc...
    Maby the Moto GP should be twice as long , with pit stops or two races per day...
    Anyone else feel this way....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

nope much respect for wsbk riders but they're not in the same league as the front running motogp riders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Grim. wrote: »
    nope much respect for wsbk riders but they're not in the same league as the front running motogp riders

Thats definitely the case and it is shown time and again when riders switch between the categories. Troy Bayliss is, in my mind, the best SBK rider of all time (multiple American, British and World) champion but when he was in MotoGP he was a solid rider who took one win as a wild card racer.

James Toseland, Neil Hodgson, Nori Haga and countless others have tried to race in MotoGP since the 4 stroke era and each has failed to transfer their SBK form to GPs.

Ben Spies was terrific as a rookie and is clearly one of the best riders in the world but he is the exception rather than the rule for riders to make the move.

When you look at riders going from GP to SBK it is clear that the gulf is class is huge. Checa, Biaggi and Melandri have forced a new style of intellegent racing into SBK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Im guessing you havent seen some of the riders after the races, they are wreaked! Nonsense OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Predator_ wrote: »
    Im guessing you havent seen some of the riders after the races, they are wreaked! Nonsense OP

"Wreaked".....:confused::rolleyes:

You' obviously havent read my op properly...surely from your reply that should mean the WSB riders are twice as "wreaked" then........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

frostie500 wrote: »
    Thats definitely the case and it is shown time and again when riders switch between the categories. Troy Bayliss is, in my mind, the best SBK rider of all time (multiple American, British and World) champion but when he was in MotoGP he was a solid rider who took one win as a wild card racer.

James Toseland, Neil Hodgson, Nori Haga and countless others have tried to race in MotoGP since the 4 stroke era and each has failed to transfer their SBK form to GPs.

Ben Spies was terrific as a rookie and is clearly one of the best riders in the world but he is the exception rather than the rule for riders to make the move.

When you look at riders going from GP to SBK it is clear that the gulf is class is huge. Checa, Biaggi and Melandri have forced a new style of intellegent racing into SBK

Agreed, the MotoGP riders ride at a higher level than thier WSBK counterparts, even though the lap times do be close enough the jump to a slightly lower lap time takes much more commitment and skill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Motogp are the best riders in the world, that's why they get paid so much. High work rate doesn't mean high wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

pdbhp wrote: »
    Agreed, the MotoGP riders ride at a higher level than thier WSBK counterparts, even though the lap times do be close enough the jump to a slightly lower lap time takes much more commitment and skill.
    Yes the considering the bikes that the WSBK lads have aren't as customised or nearly as much spent on them, the gap in the lap times is small.

MotoGP v WSBK riders, we're not talking about Barcelona v Home Farm.

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Yes the considering the bikes that the WSBK lads have aren't as customised or nearly as much spent on them, the gap in the lap times is small.

world super bikes have very similar electronics to a motogp bike they have completely non stock engines worth tens of thousands of euros that end up producing more torque and similar power levels as a motogp engine

motogp can only use 21 litres of fuel and has 800cc engines compared with superbike with 24 litres and 1000cc engines sbk race is also shorter

the only places i can think a gp bike has a clear advantage on a superbike is better tyres and carbon brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have watched very few bike races I have to say but the OPs question seems interesting.

Do they put G meters on the bikes like they would in the F1 cars?

I imagine if a MotoGP bike has carbon brakes and better tyres that it stops, corners and accelerates better. That would probably mean more force on the body that the GP guys have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have watched very few bike races I have to say but the OPs question seems interesting.

Do they put G meters on the bikes like they would in the F1 cars?

I imagine if a MotoGP bike has carbon brakes and better tyres that it stops, corners and accelerates better. That would probably mean more force on the body that the GP guys have to deal with.

Yes there is G-meters on the bikes I believe the MotoGP bikes pull about 1.5 G under braking which is a lot on a bike.
    The issue is not with the engines or the power/torque output, it is how the power is used / delivered and thats where the prototype MotoGP bikes come into thier own using exotic components and metals.

A few years ago the Superbikes twin cylinder Ducati's were getting into the realm of prototypes using similar if not better materials then the MotoGP but that brought huge costs into the bikes making the Ducati upto 5 times more expensive than some of the other teams on the Superbike grid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Nothing like the lads that do the real stuff, REALROADRACING. Who do it for sport.

Nothing like the lads that do the real stuff, REALROADRACING.

road racers will always get the most respect from me in terms of the balls they have for the likes of the tt and nw200 but in terms of skill on a circuit only a few current rr riders are good enough for circuit racing and they're in the bsb championship
    Who do it for sport.

and wsbk and gp riders don't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Agreed..after watching Euge win the SBK races today..the Moto GP guys are all gay......:D

Advertisement