Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do ???????

Options
  • 17-04-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

HI all,im in my first year in suckling i have 10 cows now the most i can keep would be about 18 cows.i have some calved an a few to go an to be honest there a bit all over the place,cows were bought in a mart with "3 weeks to go"but that didnt happen,my question is im trying to ai at d moment but finding it hard to spot the cows bulling,how many cows would you need to run a stock bull...any help thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

kealar wrote: »
    HI all,im in my first year in suckling i have 10 cows now the most i can keep would be about 18 cows.i have some calved an a few to go an to be honest there a bit all over the place,cows were bought in a mart with "3 weeks to go"but that didnt happen,my question is im trying to ai at d moment but finding it hard to spot the cows bulling,how many cows would you need to run a stock bull...any help thanks,

You could run a stock bull with the amount of cows you have no problem, its very hard to manage AI when not around full time but a heat seeker would help alrit..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kealar

have a strong bullock running with them but he only picking them up when there standing for him,and thats hard to spot,where as a bull would have them a few days before,,but a bull for that amount of cows i dont know...would he get cross and go rambling,dont want that hassel either??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

you could buy a bull cheap enough ... keep him for 3 months and sell him on...if he isnt working out just get rid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

kealar wrote: »
    im 6 years suckler farming and thier still all over the place thats the way it is buy astock bull i tried ai for year or 2 unless you want to spent all your free time farming and running after cows

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

They say to cover the cost of a bull you would need around 15 or more because having to feed him during the winter and keeping him maintained all year round!! but if you have an off farm job its awful hard to be hanging around looking to spot cows in heat so maybe buy a stock bull and see how ya get on anyways!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement