Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aunt died recently

Options
  • 17-04-2011 5:19pm
    Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from England where I was attended the funeral of my Aunty.

She died two weeks ago, but due to the English system, there is a two week wait before the funeral happens. That may have been a good thing, at least for me, as I'd have been too raw emotionally if it had happened sooner.

She was referred to by my siblings and I as our "second mother" as she had us stay with her every year after my mam died for two weeks in the summer.

She always had an interest in our lives, and never had a cross word to say to us. She also had plenty of stories of our mam (her sister) from when she was young. So we got to get a better idea of what our mam was like as a person. Which was great for us as she died when we were very young.

We were lucky in one way in that we were informed that she didn't have long left, and this allowed us to visit her one last time. It was a few hours of pleasant chat and a lot of laughter. It's a nice way to remember the last time of ever seeing her.

Visiting her was on a par on a par with Christmas, with regards as to how excited we were to see her each year.

I'm really going to miss her. :(

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Aunty, in the UK to Cancer just over a year ago. It was hard to see such a special person like that in hospital, and she had so much more to give in life, I feel robbed really. I was very close to my Aunty too. (They are like a Mum, but you can be a be more relaxed with them and tell them more). I still feel the void a year after, especially when I want to pick up the phone for a chat, and know I can't.

But the only words of experience and comfort I can offer, especially as it all sounds so familiar to my situation, is that seeing your Aunty and saying all the things you needed to, should actually bring you comfort in the future. You will have no regrets and although it was hard to see her, knowing that she was dying, it was one of the most important things you could have done for her, and for yourself. This is the way I feel anyway. I know you will miss her, but if you are like me, please feel blessed that you had someone so special for that short time in your life.

Advertisement