Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this Larvae/Caterpillar

Options
  • 17-04-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Not strictly angling, but posting here as I thought this was probably the best place for an ID of this Larva/Caterpillar.
    Also, I found it in the back garden today when I was lifting pots collecting worms.

Initial thought was some sort of dragonfly larvae, but after some googling Im not sure.

DSCF3951.jpg

DSCF3943.jpg

DSCF3947.jpg

Couldnt attach the images to this post, so have used a 3rd party service to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Post it in Nature and Birdwatching you may get an answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Looks like a ground beetle larva to me.
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/node/442

The one in this photo is a US species but they all look pretty similar. Yours should grow up into one of those 1/4 to 1/2 inch long shiny black beetles you find under logs and in flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Exactly like that Yank. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I've had another ID as a Devils Coachhorse beetle larvae. I googled some pics of this beetle and have seen a few of them around so I'm guessing thus could be the ID I'm looking for.

Advertisement