Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola Xoom Xoom Xoom

Options
  • 17-04-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok I dont now if this is the right forum for this but as its running android I'll place it here and if mods need to move it, please do so.

Lets begin, I have the option of buying a motorola xoom from USA in the next few weeks, now is this piece of equipment worth it, from the research I done I see the sd card does not work yet as it needs an upgrade, ditto with the 4g but thats NA here so thats a non-issue.

First Question.
    Will it actually work here in Ireland. The model im buying is a sim free that is unlocked from the verizon network?
    Does anybody know of any other issues, that I should know?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got the 32Gb Wifi from the US. Apart from needing a cheap power adapter to convert the US plug to an Irish one it works great. The voltage on the Xoom power supply is 110 - 240 so the adapter is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey Mick,
    What you think of the Zoom? I was playing with one in PC World today, and found it a bit heavy, its also a bit thick, (This was after paying with the iPad2).

But overall my question is how are you finding Android 3.0?

I'm going to get a tablet, and would rather stay away from itunes... but the ipad hardware leaves the Xoom well behind. Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be b
    better option when it comes out, or maybe the Eeepad.

Cheers
    J

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

the-ging wrote: »
    Hey Mick,
    What you think of the Zoom? I was playing with one in PC World today, and found it a bit heavy, its also a bit thick, (This was after paying with the iPad2).

But overall my question is how are you finding Android 3.0?

I'm going to get a tablet, and would rather stay away from itunes... but the ipad hardware leaves the Xoom well behind. Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be b
    better option when it comes out, or maybe the Eeepad.

Cheers
    J

I posted this last week about first impressions.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71607870

Regarding the hardware, the weight & thickness doesn't bother me. It's 130g heavier than an IPad2 (I think) and if my case for it ever arrives it'll be thicker still. So that's about the weight of a mars bar. The battery seems great. I charged it on Sunday and then again on Thursday evening and that was with a reasonable bit of use each day.

Android 3 is fine. Most apps and widgets work fine and they're being updated constantly. Since I got the tablet (a week ago) Jorte & Beautiful Widgets have been updated to be more tablet friendly. When you get an Android 3 device you will look for Android 3 specific applications. Those are a bit thin on the ground and the Android Market in the US seems to have a category for tablets that we don't have. This is not the disaster that certain people would have you believe though, like I said, most of the Android 2 apps work just as well on 3 as they do on 2 and I don't care if I'm watching a video or reading an ebook on a program designed for Android 2. It looks the same.

Maybe the hardware on the newer devices will be better than the Motorola but I've no regrets after getting this one. Well one, now my missus wants one for herself.

I've no idea how the hardware on the IPad leaves the Xoom well behind like you said. I've more memory on mine and a better screen resolution and a SDCard slot (if Motorola will ever enable it) and Widgets and no need EVER for iTunes. The only people who have brought up the weight of the device are friends who lean towards Apple, and that was the only negative they could bring up, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Didnt want to start a new thread so putting this in the last xoom related one.
    Got up this morning and xoom wouldnt turn on, was working fine last night. After resigning myself to having to pay to get it fixed or it to be an expensive paper weight I went to google for a quick search and came up with this:

Since I’ve helped out a dozen or so people now that have run into a Motorola XOOM that either won’t turn on or is stuck at a black screen, it’s time to drop the fix as a tip on the site so that more people can find it. And we’re not sure exactly why some XOOMs hit a black screen that leaves the power button almost useless at times, but it’s definitely happening to more than a couple of people. Don’t worry though, there is a simple fix that can be applied by pressing just a couple of buttons.

So how do you fix it?

Hold Volume Up and Power until your XOOM turns back on.

Seriously, that’s it. And actually, Volume Up + Power will get you out of all sorts of jams on your XOOM. If you are ever stuck with your device on or off and can’t make anything happen, this will almost surely get you back to normal. And now back to XOOMin’.

Cheers to those of you who ran into the issue!

Worked for me.

Link to original site:http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/02/tip-xoom-wont-turn-on-stuck-with-a-black-screen-try-this-trick/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a pretty standard thing nowadays. Especially with phones/tablets that the batt is hard to remove.

• Advertisement
Advertisement