Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Management Information and Managerial Accounting Systems

Options
  • 17-04-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey, got offered a conditional place on this course for September, anyone done it before and know what its like? Or anyone else applying for it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MaximusDecemus

Hi Fairy22.

I have just applied for that course in UCC. I didnt think they would be offering conditional places yet, considering the deadline is june 1st!

Anyway, congrats! Are you coming from an accounting background?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fairy22

Hi, yeah Im just finishing a business degree in WIT where i did the accounting stream for 3rd n 4th year! How about you?

I completed my four years undergraduate degree in 2009 in business studies for cit. Like you I did a lot of accounting subjects in the final 2 years. I am now finishing a two year research masters in cit. I thought i'd top off my education with a taught masters, particularly as I wanted to learn more IT.

I have been teaching tutorial classes in cit for the past two years and one of the subjects I taught was management information systems. I found it very interesting to teach and I think I will benefit from the accounting/IT mix in this ucc course.

Did you upload your transcripts for your 3 years of results to the pac website? I scanned mine and uploaded, but wasn't sure if that was enough. The application process is much more impersonal to what I have been used to. Things are way more relaxed at cit. I'd imagine its the same at wit? I spent an afternoon on wit's campus a number of years back. Lovely place. Nice canteen compared to cit!

Anyway, maybe I'll see you in sept if we both get accepted. I think classes are around 30 people. What did ucc say to you about the provisional place? Are you guaranteed a place if you get a certain grade- say a 2:2? I got a 2:1 in my honours degree. I'd imagine my research masters will count in my favour as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fairy22

I just got an email saying my application status had changed so i checked it and it said we are pleased to offer you a conditional place, depending on your final results! Yes i think you need a 2.2 at least. I thought it was a bit strange myself! Presumed id have to do an interview, unless i still will have to after i get my results next week! I posted my transcripts off to the PAC office just after i applied!

Well done fairy22! I got an offer as well. I have another 5 days to decide whether to accept or decline.

I am now unsure whether I will accept or not. I just found out that the exemptions from CIMA are the same as the ones I got from my degree. Also, I have been told by people I know in industry that having two masters might look funny on my cv... I would look too academic and potential employers might think I am not willing to roll up my sleeves and do the basic work.

I want to do CIMA so it might be better to do that rather than MIMAS. It's hard to decide without knowing what the course is really like. I'd hate to commit to almost two years if it is no more rigorous than the accounting and IT content in my degree 2 years ago...Or if CIMA covers similar content.

Have you thought about what type of work you would like to get into after this masters?

• Advertisement
Advertisement