Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver of the race: Round 3 - Chinese Grand Prix

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Some competition for this award this weekend.

Great performance by Hamilton to take the win after making an extra stop to Vettel. Daring overtaking move from him to take the lead in the last five laps.

Mark Webber came from 18th on the grid to take a well deserved podium, Nico Rosberg made his strategy work to lead in the middle stages of the race and take fifth, Felipe Massa outperformed Alonso and challenged at the front until the final stint.

I'll be giving my vote to Lewis though

Driver of the race 70 votes

Sebastian Vettel
    0%
    Mark Webber
    0%
    Lewis Hamilton
    68%
    Dcullygpjordanf1LIGHTNINGMagown3[Deleted User]TrampasBeekaydor83muckwarriortonedefVegetalord lucanthegothblackdog2wobblesGrim.ottostreetlazy-bikervincenzolorenzokeithoh 48 votes
    Jenson Button
    25%
    TheFatSlutmonkey57bvectraandymanKillerShamrockrecyclebinGhost Trainfrostie500thewheel2.0IM0mickdwOSIG-MoneyGlico ManSheepsfinniganPredator_Shay Vader 18 votes
    Fernando Alonso
    0%
    Felipe Massa
    0%
    Michael Schumacher
    0%
    Nico Rosberg
    1%
    johnnysmack 1 vote
    Nick Heidfeld
    2%
    EvilMonkeyfreestyla 2 votes
    Vitaly Petrov
    0%
    Rubens Barrichello
    0%
    Pastor Maldonado
    0%
    Adrian Sutil
    0%
    Paul di Resta
    0%
    Kamui Kobayashi
    0%
    Sergio Perez
    0%
    Sebastian Buemi
    0%
    Jamie Alguersuari
    0%
    Heikki Kovalainen
    0%
    Jarno Truli
    0%
    Narain Karthikeyan
    0%
    Tonio Liuzzi
    1%
    pburns 1 vote
    Timo Glock
    0%
    Jerome D'Ambrosio
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fcuk it, I'll say Webber. Excellent from Hamilton too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Lewis Hamilton
    has to be webber

good race by vettel aswell to make the hards last 25 laps massive mistake by redbull to put him on a 2 stop

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber, but was impressed by Massa again for the first time in a long time.
    Poor old Jenson.....showing even he wants to join Red Bull haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jenson Button
    Awesome drive from Webber to get on the podium, could've been higher but, I have to give my vote to Hamilton. Fantastic drive from him, especially after his dismal race in Sepang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Nick Heidfeld
    couldn't decide between hamilton and webber.. rosberg is next on my list so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Lewis Hamilton
    Gave my vote to Webber. Excellent drive by Hamilton as well though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Lewis Hamilton
    Also voted Webber, but very impressed with Hamilton's performance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Jenson Button
    Lewis I think, did what he needed to during the race to make it work, also managed the tires better than I expected

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber for me too,awesome race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Lewis Hamilton
    Has to Webber I thought at the end of the first stint his race was over but what a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber for me, too.

Anybody else finding the performance differences between drivers a bit artificial? The Pirelli tyre makeup, the KERs and DRS?

It's certainly creating overtaking and exciting racing but the way the tyres fall off "the cliff" is a bit mental. Hard to tell whos genuinely fast and whos struggling because of tyres.

(I accept that this has always been the case with the difference in performance between the teams but it just seems much more exaggerated now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Lewis Hamilton
    So many different drivers had great races. Hamilton for some of his overtaking, Schumi, Massa. My vote goes to Webber though, 18th to 3rd and if the race had been 2 laps longer he would have easily passed Vettel too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber by a country mile, nobody else came close, outstanding, pity his team isn't giving him the support he deserves..... De Rosta (SP) in the Force India has also been impressive..
    But 10/10 to Button for for dumb ass of the year though, man that was funny, fair pay to Red Bull mechanics for keeping cool and waving him on....quality....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Lewis Hamilton
    Driver of the race - Webber, 18th to 3rd - 'nuff said

Driver of the race weekend - Hamilton, getting himself well placed on the grid with a set of new soft tyres left for the race and following it up with a good race performance

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber has to get the vote over hamilton.. he had such a bad weekend between his problem with the kers and going out in q1 while seeing his teammate on pole again... but he kept his cool and drove a good race... i never thought he would have finished even in the top 8 when i seen his first stint...
    Nice to see schumacher back among the crop, looks like the merc is on its way up the grid at last..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jenson Button
    Really like webber but giving driver of the day to the hamilton despite the ear rings!

I love the situation re the tyres although I think having a single tyre supplier casues some issues. Pirelli had to be instructed to build tyres like this and as such it creates a certain falseness to the whole performance - falling off a cliff by design if you like. Much better when 2 companies push hard to build the best performing with varying levels of performance versus longevity.
    Last years format was dire where a driver would often have his race decided from the grid with no possibility of getting past anyone on track and with no refueling and tyres that were not too fussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KylieWyley wrote: »
    Webber for me, too.

Anybody else finding the performance differences between drivers a bit artificial? The Pirelli tyre makeup, the KERs and DRS?

It's certainly creating overtaking and exciting racing but the way the tyres fall off "the cliff" is a bit mental. Hard to tell whos genuinely fast and whos struggling because of tyres.

(I accept that this has always been the case with the difference in performance between the teams but it just seems much more exaggerated now)

Well all they have to do is use a better strategy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Lewis Hamilton
    I gave the vote to Webber. While Hamilton had an excellent race, Hamilton started very well and drove well the whole race. He also had KERS working. Webber started 18th, and had a dysmal first segment on the hard tyres, was 17th at first stop, so from a quarter the way into the race went from 17th to within 9 seconds of Hamilton. Everyone Hamilton over took (bar Vettel), Webber overtook and then some - without the KERS boost!
    Pity he's not consistant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Tonio Liuzzi
    Wouldn't be overly fond of Hamilton, think he's a fake SOB but would have to give him driver of the race - just. Race for me starts Sat qualifying and he did a great job setting himself up for the race and some great overtakes. I know Webber had KERS problems and is probably 2nd fiddle with Helmut Marko etc. but he made a big error dropping out in Q1.

Alonso's bad starts are costing him big time. There's been a certain amount of bad luck involved but it's something he needs to sort out. His stint stuck behind Schumacher screwed his chances of a decent result yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Lewis Hamilton
    Webber, followed by Lewis.

I do think that Lewis got lucky with two moments in the race that defined the win.

1. When Maldonado came out of the pits and forced Rosberg to back off going through Turn 1. Rosberg had increased his lead over Hamilton after his final stop until Maldonado blocked him and allowed Hamilton to get right back on his tail.

2. Hamilton overtaking Button. He had to rely on Button getting out of it. Very Senna-esque (I hate saying that) in that he basically said 'have an accident or back off'.

Honourable mention to Vettel for not putting a wheel wrong again, and some excellent defensive driving. Parking on the apex was genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Lewis Hamilton
    I was going to say Button for his Red Bull pitstop - but it has to be Webber.
    Hamilton was his usual clinical self.

Advertisement