Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compound for slits in tyres

Options
  • 16-04-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a compunt for tyres (not tubes) to fill in slits? Found a slit in my tire today and the tube was slightly exposed so changed it but the tire is practically new so don't want to let it go to waste. Was on bad roads last night and no doubt they were the culprit. If not compound, is there any other way of repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sidewall, no, it is a structural failure. For the tread you can use superglue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,500 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you patch the tyre from the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Beasty wrote: »

sometimes with doing this it will still pop threw under pressure,i used a small slice of damp proof courseing on it before worked fine and because its more rigid than a patch it keeps it all in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Beasty wrote: »
    You can patch a sidewall with a boot to get you home but it will puncture again, either the side of the boot eating into the tyre or the boot shredding. On high pressures anyway. I have seen tyres here in India that look patched with another Tyre but they bulge alarmingly.

Advertisement