Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power bars, gels rehydrating drinks question

Options
  • 16-04-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have cycled a good few events last year, M3 ride, Sky ride in Co Clare, Maracycle, tours of Louth , Meath, Cavan, lap the Lough plus commuting to work but on long events power bars, gels and energy drinks make me feel very bloated and dont make me feel great. Any advice please on other things that work other than bananas in the back pocket and drinking water thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Chocolate spread sandwiches and wine gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What gels have you tried? I like high5 isogel.. they are quite liquid like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

arent jelly babies supposedly a good energy kick as well?

i just use nutri grain bars, bananas or elevenses bars myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I swear by kelloggs nutrigrain bars and dioralyte dissolved in your drink. Keep one normal water though. Grab bananas at feed stops. Stay away from the space food. It's for cosmonauts and tour de France pros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

jelly beans yeah , nutella and banana on a croissant ,zero tabs for drink and Hi5 energy gels if needed (avoid gels if I can) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    jelly beans yeah , nutella and banana on a croissant ,zero tabs for drink and Hi5 energy gels if needed (avoid gels if I can) ...

Does the croissant get crushed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

All bread gets crushed into bar form in your pocket. It still tastes the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

zym tablets for drinks

clif shot bloks i find easy on the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

aquanaut wrote: »
    Does the croissant get crushed?

Of course it does ,to a pulp generally.......but, its content not presentation thats important here

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

+1 on this

zym tablets for drinks

clif shot bloks i find easy on the stomach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hard boiled egg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

mini can of coke is good. I also dont think gels are amazing, I think a small bar of chocolate to be much better. Electrolyte drinks are good though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maltodextrin + salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Lumen wrote: »
    Maltodextrin + salt.

The rating for that stuff is very poor on that website. I also don't understand why you would add salt as it would dehidrate you even further.

I find anything from High5 fine and their Zero tabs are very good. I try and use as little gels as possible though, and eat chocolate and other more wholesome foods also.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

@lashed, when your body sweets you lose vital salts. This can be a major cause of cramp. As far as I'm aware, taking a small amount of salt water is a good way to prevent cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I use a camelbak, so it's Nuun all the way for me drinkswise.
    http://www.nuun.com/what_is_nuun/nutrition_and_ingredients/

macken04 wrote: »
    @lashed, when your body sweets you lose vital salts. This can be a major cause of cramp. As far as I'm aware, taking a small amount of salt water is a good way to prevent cramp

I didn't think it was common table salt that replaced those vital salts but I'm open to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lashed wrote: »
    The rating for that stuff is very poor on that website. I also don't understand why you would add salt as it would dehidrate you even further.

As macken says, you have to replace salts. Also, you are get rehydrated better than plain water (hence the popuarity of isotonics).

I don't know about bad reviews, my recommendation is based on personal experience and common knowledge, which is that maltodextrin is better for the digestive system than fructose, and better for avoiding insulin spikes than glucose.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

cold green tea and honey, with or without dioralyte. does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anybody know of any gluten free energy bars/drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I didn't think it was common table salt that replaced those vital salts but I'm open to be corrected on that.
    Common table salt is indeed what you need. If you are dehydrated, you will always be given salt water; if severely dehydrated to the point that oral rehydration is too late you'll be given an IV saline solution; this is simply sterile water and sodium chloride (table salt.) 0.9% salt makes it isotonic.

You can become dehydrated purely through loss of salt, even if you have plenty of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Anybody know of any gluten free energy bars/drinks?
    Lemon, honey, water, salt is a good combo.

Salt (specifically Na+ ions) is essential for intestinal absorption of water and glucose, due to the fact that glucose is transported from the intestinal lumen across the apical membrane of intestinal epethelial cells by sodium/glucose cotransporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Thelaughingcow

i like the blackcurrant ones

Lumen wrote: »
    As macken says, you have to replace salts. Also, you are get rehydrated better than plain water (hence the popuarity of isotonics).

I don't know about bad reviews, my recommendation is based on personal experience and common knowledge, which is that maltodextrin is better for the digestive system than fructose, and better for avoiding insulin spikes than glucose.

I stand corrected.:confused:
    I think i'll stick to a half a High5 tab per 750ml water though.

Advertisement