Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double decker busses in Limerick?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Well lads, i seem to remember a thread on this a few months ago saying there was going to be a re introduction of double decker busses into the busier routes..any updates on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Saw one yesterday down by Jury's Inn. Thread came good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

im not talking about the tourist busses going around which are red and green in colour, im talking about the everyday city buses..like these..except newer ones obviously!

4226075053_91905239fa_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

I think they said they would put them into service if the bus lanes were completed but you know what happened to them (the ballinacurra route is back on the table again)

http://limerickcity.ie/Transport/MajorProjects/SouthernGreenRouteCorridorImplementationPhase/BallinacurraGreenRoute/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is there really a need for double decker buses?

How often are you not allowed on a bus because it's full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Bad idea methinks: Scumbag paradise upstairs, everyone else standing downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

rubensni wrote: »
    Bad idea methinks: Scumbag paradise upstairs, everyone else standing downstairs.

Ah no, the people from the financial regulators ad could go upstairs as well. :D

I'd say bring em back if we need them. I cannot see that we do need them to be fair. The busy bus's are frequent enough to be fair. Firstly though bring back comfortable seats on bus's.

Ah, what I'd give for one of those comfy green seats again. Secure them down a little better mind you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

You could do with double deckers on the UL route, especially in the morning and evening times.

Although fair point about the knackers setting up camp in the upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

sorry for digging up an old thread but with this "new bus service" and modern apps etc any news of the double deckers for the busier routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I would imagine the UL route could use one but I do not think they would get under the railway bridges

kilburn wrote: »
    I would imagine the UL route could use one but I do not think they would get under the railway bridges

Double deckers tend to be around the 14' mark. The Dublin Bus VG class (and probably the Bus Éireann VWD class as they're the same type) are 14'5"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

similar in height to an artic trailer then so should fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

14.5 feet is 4.41m and the bridges around town are

Dublin road near parkway 4.74m
    Ballysimon road near Tipperary roundabout 4.95m
    Childers road at Kilmallock roundabout 5.12m
    Kilmallock road (1) 4.49m
    Kilmallock road (2) 4.44m

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

I remember when a double decker bus used to go under the bridge on the Ballysimon Road it had to go into the centre of the road. Maybe they have dipped the road at the spot in recent years.

I'd imagine the bridge between Frank Hogans and the Parkway on the Dublin Rd would be ok for double decker buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That's right Phog. There used to be two small white marker posts on the bridge which the driver had to drive between.
    However they have since taken the "arch" out of this bridge, making it the same height all the way across.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Ballysimon road arch bridge was replaced with a regular bridge a good few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

why did they get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik they were either decommissioned due to condition or reassigned to Dublin Bus as there was more need for them in the Big Smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cork got new double deckers in the past few years. I suppose they would be handy in the mornings and evenings now that UL/Raheen route has been merged.

5687785277_7c3be8d291.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 nebusfan

I remember talk about some deckers being delivered or maybe delivery to Galway as sometimes the singles could'nt manage on some routes that have become busy with all the new building there,or it may be on the back burner cos of the financial state.Yet again though the city there are more proactive about bus priority and have put in bus lanes.Should they not send someone from the Limerick city council there to see what can happen when they take their fingers out their backsides!!!and get things moving before the places grinds to a halt in the peaks and nobodys gets anywhere.

Advertisement