Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCART >> Composite >> USB 2.0

Options
  • 16-04-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I am trying to convert an old home VHS movie to DVD and/or a computer watchable format like divx etc.

I have gotten so far as to use a composite to USB 2.0 adapter similar to the attached image, and for testing purposes it works fine previewing video on screen when the composite cable is connected directly to the back of a DVD player, but once connected instead to the VCR SCART output through an old PlayStation SCART to AV/composite adapter (attached below) the only picture displayed is almost completely black with some white and green lines.

When I connect reconnect the same DVD player to the composite to USB 2.0 adapter using but instead use the PlayStation SCART to AV/composite adapter the same problem occurs, so I believe this is somehow causing the problem.

If relevant I have noticed the SCART connector has only 11 pins, not that any have broken off, it was made with only 11...

Should this PlayStation SCART to AV/composite adapter do the job for a VHS machine, or do I need something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

It was put to me that it may not work even with a SCART connector that has all the pins as the VCR might not, and I know this is probably the wrong word, broadcast in composite and only in *component/RGB...

*To clarify there are no component/composite ports on the back of the VCR, just coaxial and SCART for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The PS adaptor you're using is for INPUT to a TV only. You'll need to get one that allows you to get the output from a source to the INPUT of the Roxio device. VCRs don't use RGB or Component outputs - at least not run of the mill domestic ones anyway - so you're stuck with composite or S-Video.

Hardly Normal will stock these or a SCART to multiple Phono leads supporting INPUT/OUTPUT Audio and Video.

Here's an example of what you need from Maplin. They can be bought much cheaper though !! This cable is switchable to be either an OUTPUT or an INPUT cable.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-3-phono-leads-35904

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

ZENER wrote: »
    Here's an example of what you need from Maplin. They can be bought much cheaper though !! This cable is switchable to be either an OUTPUT or an INPUT cable.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-3-phono-leads-35904

Ken

I bought http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?view_product=1&id=1142 yesterday but have yet to install because I need to reinstall my Windows partition, do you think it will do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That should do the trick ok. Switch it to OUTPUT for your purposes though.

Ken

Advertisement