Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droppers

Options
  • 16-04-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

how far apart would one keep a dropper when nymphing for trout.
    6"? 10"?

Im giving it a bash in the liffy in the morn and would like to set up my leader now

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I use 4" droppers spaced between 3 1/2 and 4 feet apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cheers. Im going to stick with one dropper till a get the hang of it.

Looks like a recipe for tangle even with one.

I get very very upset when I tangle up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Just google New Zealand style fishing..

Dry fly on dropper and 12inches to point is a gold bead hares ear nymph..

Fished on the fast water, should work well..

nznymph.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Since the NZ style just explained gets down to deeper levels:

Maybe I should add, the setup I described earlier was for fishing a team of spider style soft hackle flies, and would concentrate on presentation quite close to the surface.

Two totally different ways to fish droppers for river trout, both of them effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

tried the new zealand thang all day today and the only bite I got was retreaving my line fast when going for lunch. SOOOOO frustrating is that Liffy.

Was using a big black dry fly and a really small gold head nymth. . Not a sausage . very disappointing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Doesn't always work unfortunately. I was the same as your self, been using that method for donkeys and to no avail was wondering if it was a load a bs but was out on the dodder the other day and had countless fish on a pheasant tail nymph. Just a matter of perseverance I think

Advertisement