Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Point for Blogging

Options
  • 16-04-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum,

I'm just wondering what the best site for starting a new blog would be? I really just want somewhere to rant, review things and put down my thoughts on some of the things I have an interest in. I'm not a software developer so simplicity would be an important factor. Is it still Wordpress, Blogger and those sites or have things moved on.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wordpress is probably your best option. The question then is do you go with wordpress.com or wordpress.org. Both of them are free and both of them have advantages over the other.

The .com version is hosted by wordpress. It is largely aimed at the casual blogger. So while you can pay to upgrade the basic free package ( extra storage space and domain registration etc.), it is also more limited than the .org version in terms of the themes and the widgets you can install.

The .org package is hosted on a private server. (It's a 5 minute job to set-up.) It offers a great deal more in terms of themes and widgets that can be installed (both free and those that cost a little cash). If you ever fancied creating your own theme (i.e. your very own look) then this would be the one to go for.

You could take a look at Tumblr and Posterous too - they do things a little differently to Wordpress and Blogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at them all.

Advertisement