Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Record Store Day Today

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Interesting articles and especially about that store Truck in Oxford - what is described there is pretty much my dream for the last few years in terms of opening a store like that in Dublin! Anyway, I can dream on for now...

The first big difference is of course the scale of population in the UK versus Ireland - so if we take the typical 5% equation for business in Ireland versus the UK it would mean that based on the UK figure of 281 independent music stores, we have the capacity for about 14 nationwide - I'd guess we have more than that around the country, most of which are crap unfortunately. Even looking at some of the recent casualties of independent music stores, they were operating on an old retail format as if there was no digital download world to compete with - as if it was still the 70s, 80s or 90s and it was sufficient to be in a place with reasonable footfall and hope to keep the doors open by simply offering a niche selection of music to music lovers - clearly that is not a recipe for success and for a music store to at the least survive and even possibly thrive, they need to offer something different - a reason for people to visit their stores and not simply download from iTunes or some torrents. I'd share my views on how that could be done except for the fact that at the back of my mind the dream to actually do it is still there so it would be silly to publish my ideas :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE radio 1 lunchtime news is carrying a feature of the fate of music retailing here. 1-2 pm.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE radio 1 lunchtime news is carrying a feature of the fate of music retailing here. 1-2 pm.

Cool cheers, I shall tune into that so.

Advertisement