Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Level Irish Teaching Courses

Options
  • 15-04-2011 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

What courses can you do if you want to become an Irish teacher? (In a secondary school.) Which colleges? And can you do most subject combinations or is it very limited?

Or are there any other careers which would suit someone whose favourite subject (ever) is Irish?

If anyone has done any Irish course or become an Irish teacher I'd be very grateful if you could tell me anything about the course(s). :)

Míle buíochas!

I'm just going to add a list of subjects I definitely wouldn't like to teach because I know there are a few Irish and Religion courses and I don't think I'd like to teach Religion at all. Here's the list:
    Religion* (Although I could change my mind on that, probably not though...)
    Biology*
    Chemistry*
    Physics* (or any other science subject)
    Geography*
    Home Ec*
    Maths
    Art
    Woodwork*
    Metalwork*
    Technology*
    Computers
    DCG

I also don't think I'd like to teach History or English...

(Basically almost everything!)

There isn't really much left, but I'm still not sure what I'd like to teach. More than likely I'd pick Irish and French, because I'm a massive language nerd! Maybe English, but I don't really like the course, and that would mean lots of homework for me correcting long essays and making notes and stuff.

*I'm not doing any of these for the Leaving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

What courses can you do if you want to become an Irish teacher? (In a secondary school.) Which colleges? And can you do most subject combinations or is it very limited?

Or are there any other careers which would suit someone whose favourite subject (ever) is Irish?

If anyone has done any Irish course or become an Irish teacher I'd be very grateful if you could tell me anything about the course(s). :)

Míle buíochas!

The most common route is to do an Arts programme, offered in every University. Pick Irish and another subject, generally a wide variety of subjects available with it, depends on the timetable of the university. Arts is in UCD, St.Pats, Mary I, UL, UCC, NUIM,NUIG, Trinity, and Waterford but I think the programme in Waterford is very basic. After this, a 1 year teaching course must be done to become a teacher. Here is a link , http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospectivepostgrads/taughtcourses/socialsciences/PEM01 to the teaching course in Maynooth. It's very hard to get into these courses as there is a lot of competition. There is undergrad courses i.e. CAO courses which include education with Irish. St. Angel's in Sligo does home ec irish and education together while st.pats in Thurles does irish, religion and education together.

Hope that helps, Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

CG328 wrote: »
    while st.pats in Thurles does irish, religion and education together.

With the pgde (formerly HDip) going up to 2 years this course would be a great way to become an irish teacher, obviously if you have some sort of interest in religion. i heard but don't take my word for this, that religion (including the religion classes which most schools just leave the students study) will require properly qualified religion teachers. You should research into that. i reckon that if you are willing to do religion as well, that that course would be the most suitable to qualify as an Irish teacher. I could be very wrong but on the brochure i got, i think the course was under 400 points last year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

You can also do Home Economics and Irish in St.Angela's in Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

You can also do Home Economics and Irish in St.Angela's in Sligo?

You can indeed, here is a link to it...http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/Prospective%20Students/Programmes/course_detail.php?id=AS003&&ver=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Go raibh míle maith agat guys. I'm just after realising that I don't want to teach most subjects, so I added a list at the top of preferences. Basically all that I'm left with is French, which for some reason I find really easy. :D

Also, that'd leave me sorted job-wise, as I'm fairly such those are two of the most (if not thee most) sought after teaching jobs in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There aren't really any sought after combinations at the moment as there is an over-supply of teachers, but Irish and French would be a reasonable combination if recruitment ever restarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Míle buíochas!

I'm just going to add a list of subjects I definitely wouldn't like to teach because I know there are a few Irish and Religion courses and I don't think I'd like to teach Religion at all. Here's the list:
    Religion* (Although I could change my mind on that, probably not though...)
    Biology*
    Chemistry*
    Physics* (or any other science subject)
    Geography*
    Home Ec*
    Maths
    Art
    Woodwork*
    Metalwork*
    Technology*
    Computers
    DCG

I also don't think I'd like to teach History or English...

(Basically almost everything!)

There isn't really much left, but I'm still not sure what I'd like to teach. More than likely I'd pick Irish and French, because I'm a massive language nerd! Maybe English, but I don't really like the course, and that would mean lots of homework for me correcting long essays and making notes and stuff.

*I'm not doing any of these for the Leaving.

http://www.ul.ie/courses/LanguagesEducation.shtml

This course would probably suit you if you want to teach french, but you have to take up another language too, im not sure if Irish is an option though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Cheers, Irish doesn't seem to be an option though. I saw that course a while ago and thought it'd be the best one but if I can't do Irish with it I guess Arts is the only option for an Irish and French combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

http://www.ul.ie/courses/AppliedLanguages.shtml

This one allows irish and french and another subject if your interested.
    But you'll probably still have to do a PGDE when you finish if you want to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Arts is probably the way to go for you, plus it has the added bonus of doing an extra subject or (in some colleges) two in 1st year, keeping your options open until 2nd year.

Jobs are scarce and the PGDE is difficult to get into, but NUI Galway run one through Irish which there is less competition for - it would also give you an edge over over teachers as you would be able to teach in Gaelcholáistí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 beccaholl

I'm a newly qualified PE and geography teacher and want to be an irish teacher. how would i go about this??

Advertisement