Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Register a New Electric Bike or do I?

Options
  • 15-04-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just got a UGO Electric Scooter on Adverts, 1.5kw motor which is 50cc equivalent.

Guy won this in comp..and its new, never used. So any one help with what I do from here to register it.

Also have insurance offer with C&N for 276 is this OK, Tax 31euro

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact you're local VRO

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'll need to meet all the requirements of a mechanically propelled two-wheeled vehicle:

Number plate
    Road tax
    VRT
    Certificate of conformity*

Rider will need:
    Class A1 or A learner permit (if not full A or A1 licence already)**
    Class A1 or A theory test
    Initial Rider Training
    L-tabard
    Helmet with E-mark
    Insurance.

* this could be tricky as some of the Chinese-made junk isn't legally fit to be on the road - lights, tyres and brakes must meet European standards. If the make and model are already on the Revenue computer then there's no problem. There should be a round E-mark on the frame plate with the serial and model number.

** Some full car licences have entitlement to Class M (up to 50cc AND up to 45km/h top speed) but this was dropped for anyone passing their car test within the last 5 or 6 years.

All of the above could, sadly, make it far too much hassle for someone who may have thought they could just hop on it and go.

Edit: :o Thought you were asking on behalf of the guy who won it in the competition! Good that you got an insurance quote already, some people think 'electric=no insurance' which comes as a bit of a shock to them when they find out it doesn't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Edit: :o Thought you were asking on behalf of the guy who won it in the competition! Good that you got an insurance quote already, some people think 'electric=no insurance' which comes as a bit of a shock to them when they find out it doesn't.

I've seen too many people on electric bikes* with no helmet or any other gear driving past the Gardaí with no action taken. Unfortunately when it does go nasty it's then us poor fools who obey the law that pay for them.

*I know there a difference between pedal assist and an electric bike but our law enforcers don't. When someone drives past a squad car with their feet on the middle bar going up a hill that's an electric bike not a pedal assist and the person is braking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

paddymur wrote: »
    Just got a UGO Electric Scooter on Adverts, 1.5kw motor which is 50cc equivalent.

Guy won this in comp..and its new, never used. So any one help with what I do from here to register it.

Also have insurance offer with C&N for 276 is this OK, Tax 31euro

Thanking you in advance

Is that UGO that was won on the comp (spin fm) If it is it's reg'd with a dublin plate ? If so it's only a change of ownership that is required - The quote of €276 is prob the best you'll get out there in the Insurance Market.

Will you do us all a favor and put up a review of what it's really like after you put up a few Km's on the clock.

Good luck with the new purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddymur

Thanks for your help, will let you know how I get on after some use.............Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 marcexec

Hey Paddymur,

how is it going with the UGO scooter?
    Do you use it for commuting?

I think a lots of folks would be interested in some real life experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Registered Users Posts: 12 marcexec

dlofnep wrote: »
    Thanks, but I thought of more detailed experiences like the build quality, reliability, actual range etc. - for some reason there is no source for that and the scooters pop up for sale quite regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cool. Would love a go of one of them for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

seanybiker wrote: »
    Cool. Would love a go of one of them for the craic

I'd be more interested in a spin on one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0w26FZz50s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LenkaV

Hi Guys,I just got one of those for commuting,the road tax is 31eu,insurance with quinn was 252eu and the scooter is just great. The charging is no hassle,as the cord may be hidden inside the seat compartment,so I am happily charging even in light rain. I live on third floor and all it needs is 3hours charge to get 80%of the battery level full. I ride it from swords to airport and as I work either on early or late shifts it is excellent as it makes virtually no sound. That can be a bit tricky if you forget to switch it off before putting it on stand. I forget quite often,as I am a woman :) and it really makes absolutely no sound at all. It is great for the neighbourhood as well,as I know I dont wake up anyone early in the morning or late at nigtht. It can be driven in rain,I have it parked outside of an apartment block and its fine too. On a fully charged battery I make approx three days up and down,on which I use just 3/4 of the battery and than recharge.It goes up to 45km/hour,quite fast if you ask me for a scooter. And the best thing is absolutely no maintanance. I bought it for 480eu brand new on Donedeal,it hasnt been even registered before,so if anyone is in doubt I highly reccomend it to anyone. Many people sell them because it seems to be a hassle the charging evfery couple of days,but it is not really.You just have to remember,thats all,so highly reccomended from myself,first time scooter owner. Good luck to you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Class. Sounds cool in fairness. The lack of sound would put me off a bit though. Put a coke can on the back wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LenkaV

hahaha,its true

There's no such thing as no maintenance, unless you want to kill yourself some day when you pull on the brake and nothing happens.

Silence is bad, no one will hear you coming and pedestrians will step off the kerb right into you.

Top speed of 45km/h (same as restricted mopeds, but are there any mopeds that are actually restricted?) is a liability, not being able to do the speed limit makes cagers impatient and take risks passing you when there isn't room - they risk a scrape in their paint but you risk your life and limb. My first bike was slow but not that slow, thankfully.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There should be a separate forum for these things which should also include Segways, power assisted bicycles etc. I wouldn't exactly class them as motorbikes nor would I take them too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

ninja900 wrote: »

Silence is bad, no one will hear you coming and pedestrians will step off the kerb right into you.

Top speed of 45km/h .... is a liability

Couldn't agree more. Pedestrians will be getting very intimate with electric bikes in years to come, and guess who will get the blame?

45 km/h limit is just daft. It shouldn't be limited at all, but since it is, it might as well be capable of at least maintaining the urban speed limit of 50.

carsQhere wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Pedestrians will be getting very intimate with electric bikes in years to come, and guess who will get the blame?

45 km/h limit is just daft. It shouldn't be limited at all, but since it is, it might as well be capable of at least maintaining the urban speed limit of 50.

The limits are from the EU where mopeds are generally ridden by 14 year olds on the cycle paths. It's only when you get to safety minded English speaking countries that they are forced into dangerous traffic.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

carsQhere wrote: »
    Pedestrians will be getting very intimate with electric bikes in years to come, and guess who will get the blame?

I know! I've nearly been run over twice by a muppet* on an electric scooter while crossing a pedestrian bridge. Just like a cyclist except more dangerous (heavier & faster).

I wouldn't blame bikers though, in general you and truck drivers are the most courteous to squishy pedestrians like me. *shakes fist at cyclists* :D

* I know they're a muppet because after crossing the bridge they immediately turned to go the wrong way on a one-way street. :rolleyes:

IRLConor wrote: »
    I know! I've nearly been run over twice by a muppet* on an electric scooter while crossing a pedestrian bridge. Just like a cyclist except more dangerous (heavier & faster).

I wouldn't blame bikers though, in general you and truck drivers are the most courteous to squishy pedestrians like me. *shakes fist at cyclists* :D

* I know they're a muppet because after crossing the bridge they immediately turned to go the wrong way on a one-way street. :rolleyes:

The fact that they where driving a motorcycle* across a pedestrian bridge told me they where a muppet, driving the wrong way just reinforced it:D

It's great that our Gardaí are allowing flagrant law breaking ever day and not bother with it, yet if I drove 100m down the road with no lid I'd be done.

*If they aren't using the pedals it's a motorbike not a pedal assist bicycle.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Del2005 wrote: »
    The fact that they where driving a motorcycle* across a pedestrian bridge told me they where a muppet, driving the wrong way just reinforced it:D

They'd be just as out of order riding a bicycle across the bridge. They were just a little heavier and a little faster than the other arseholes who were on bicycles doing the same thing.

It drives me nuts. Whatever about the illegality of it, it's just plain dangerous to ride through a crowd on a pedestrian bridge (Millennium Bridge at rush hour in Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

... I wouldn't exactly class them as motorbikes nor would I take them too serious.

...silly man, ignore them at your peril. If they're racing electric's in IoM, it's only a matter of time.........

on another note, and as a Vespa owner as well (not exactly stable!), are they 8" wheels on the UGO ? FFS, would it really kill them to put a larger wheel on them (even a 12" ?)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marekszul

lenka v could you write me step by step how to register ugo electric scooter i bought this scooter on deal done brand new for 450 euro no number plate do i need nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KRIMESCENE

Hi all ,

I have bought a UGO scooter also ,its completely brilliant ,everyone was slagging me off until they see it in the flesh and take it for a spin,

Does anyone know how to get hold of the European certificate for electric scooters ,so that i can register it and get it out on the road ?

The guy i bought it off won it on a radio show ,the tool kit and owners manual are there but he theres no EC CERT

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...silly man, ignore them at your peril. If they're racing electric's in IoM, it's only a matter of time.........

on another note, and as a Vespa owner as well (not exactly stable!), are they 8" wheels on the UGO ? FFS, would it really kill them to put a larger wheel on them (even a 12" ?)

the electric bikes in IOM are certainly getting there - Rutter's almost cracked the 100mph average speed, and had a top speed of 149.5mph :o

they're lapping the track ~30% slower then the petrol ones though.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aimee lynch

hey ..recently bought a ugo electric bike...tax and insurance is fine but does anyone know how much it costs to register the bike??

hi i was jus wondering did u find out how to register you bike??and how much it cost? any information would be appreciated thanks aimee

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html

You have to take it to an NCT centre now, not a Revenue office. I suppose the best thing to do would be to ring up the NCTS and ask them if you need an appointment etc. and what paperwork you have to bring. You don't have to pay any VRT on an electric bike.

Edit: if you bought from a dealer why didn't they register it for you?

thanks very much for the information..il get on to the nct tomorrow,i bought the bike in a liquidation sale thats possibly why it wasnt registered!!thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

thanks very much for the information..il get on to the nct tomorrow,i bought the bike in a liquidation sale thats possibly why it wasnt registered!!thanks again

How much did you pay

• Advertisement
Advertisement