Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free online Business Directories, Blog pages etc

Options
  • 15-04-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm looking for free sites that I would be able to add my business to. I want to get my business' name out there, while also getting links back to the main website. I'm already using Facebbok, Hotfrog, Iloveshopping.ie, Tuggo, Yelp, Blogger.com and Squidoo.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

hi we are starting a new online directory for ireland it is not yet live to public,
    we will be offering free advert space for all business in all countys .
    you can find us on facebook our page finditnow.ie
    web www.finditnow.ie

we hope to launch before january 2012.
    you can pm me if you need my email and any info that you need but most the info on facebookpage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gawd not another web directory. :) There seems to be an awful lot of them in the Irish webscape. Not sure how Google deals with them as most of them run into the submissions crunch after a few months.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Have you added yourself to Google Maps? That's a good one. Otherwise, try europages. They seem to come up well in the ranking process.

• Advertisement

our web builder is looking after all that for us as he is a good friend ,we do hope to get good enough and well known to turn this into a income for us with premium adds but keeping basic ones free ,we are also in talks with the rnli lifeboats so we can act as a fund raiser for them as we intend to make a donation for all premium adds placed when we launch them but also having a direct link to them so people can also donate direct.after all this charity fully operates on donations ..

mercenary2 wrote: »
    our web builder is looking after all that for us as he is a good friend
    Just to explain the whole web directory business simply: it is a lot tougher than it looks. Most web directories fail or are abandoned within 18 to 37 months. The reason is that they run into the brick wall of the submissions issue. When web directories have to rely on user submissions, their rate of growth generally slows. A lot of the submissions will be from automated and meatbot directory submission services and they will be utterly unusable junk websites that are probably irrelevant anyway.

To some extent, web directories form an early phase in the Web's development and date from a time where it was possible to manually categorise and detect new websites. Search engines effectively automated the whole detection process but they are also vulnerable to the junk submissions effect and this killed off many of the early search engines.

Most web developers (and SEO people) do not fully understand or appreciate the processes that build a good directory or search engine. This is why I tend to be somewhat cynical when I see people launching new web directories. That and having surveyed and categorised approximately 2.5 million websites last month alone.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone creating a new web directory, so long as it is targetted to a certain niche.

Lord knows, some of the existing targetted Irish directories are god aweful.

condra wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with someone creating a new web directory, so long as it is targetted to a certain niche.
    I didn't say that there was anything wrong with it. Unless these new directories build up some kind of following, they too vegetate after a few years. People frequently underestimate the amount of work involved and few ever give any thought to populating it other than to base it on a rather nebulous "user submission" model.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farmerka

directories fee ? 199 us pa?
    http://www.ezilon.com
    $199 - Human Editor(s) Review and Permanent Listing, with Free Yearly Review (One-time payment)

i would love to have directory with 100 customers ono :)

the question is are there directories.ie with PR at least 5 for free listings without non folow directly link with anchor ?

list here 5 :) please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

I'm looking for free sites that I would be able to add my business to. I want to get my business' name out there, while also getting links back to the main website. I'm already using Facebbok, Hotfrog, Iloveshopping.ie, Tuggo, Yelp, Blogger.com and Squidoo.com

Hi, I have used the free ad option on a number of online directories. The ones that generated some business for me are needit.ie, whats what.ie, hotfrog.ie. A lot of the lesser know ones arent worth the hassle of placing an ad because nobody looks at those sites anyway. Best of luck.

sparky28 wrote: »
    Hi, I have used the free ad option on a number of online directories. The ones that generated some business for me are needit.ie, whats what.ie, hotfrog.ie. A lot of the lesser know ones arent worth the hassle of placing an ad because nobody looks at those sites anyway. Best of luck.

it will take some time for us to get known that i wont lie about as i said trying to build a user friendly directory unlike the ones you mention they are just a mess and hard to see whats going on on them ,you would near need to have a degree in websites to navagate them and as for them been known never heard of them untill we had started on ours ,the only one we had known about is them golden pages and we know how much they cost...
    and as u mentioned "BEST OF LUCK" I respond with a big thank you

mercenary2 wrote: »
    it will take some time for us to get known
    It will take between six and twelve months to get known unless you have a big advertising budget.
    that i wont lie about as i said trying to build a user friendly directory unlike the ones you mention they are just a mess and hard to see whats going on on them
    Some are but some really are not so much web directories as attempts at mini search engines.
    and as for them been known never heard of them untill we had started on ours ,the only one we had known about is them golden pages and we know how much they cost...
    One of the first things that any new business does is check out the market.

Using Joomla for the backend of a web directory is not the best of choices. There are better directory orientated scripts and programs out there. If your directory gets any major publicity and you haven't a decent server with an optimised Joomla install, it may fold under the traffic. With busy web directories, a big concern is the number of queries used to to generate each web page. The lower this query count, the better.
    and as u mentioned "BEST OF LUCK" I respond with a big thank you
    Good luck.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement