Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an App?? Cost? How to go about doing it.

Options
  • 15-04-2011 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello All,

Had a question, was wondering if anyone has any experience or created an app before?

I know the app market is pretty big, but I had an idea for an App that is not out there yet. Does anyone have any idea how you would even go about doing this?

What are the average development costs,copyrighting etc

And also in terms of profit, what % would you get of the apps profit from sale.

I know these are very broad questions but I was wondering if anyone had any answers in this area. :( as I would be quite curious.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

To get a reputable company with relevant experience to develop your app will cost in the region of €600 to €1000 per day. How long will it take? Well nobody can tell you that until you give them a detailed spec.

If you're lucky you may be able to find a student/indie developer willing to accept profit share on the app as payment.

First thing to do though is sit down and plan exactly what you want your app to do and how you want it to do it. A good developer/company will help you iron out the details, but it's important to have a clear picture in your head beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

To get a reputable company with relevant experience to develop your app will cost in the region of €600 to €1000 per day. How long will it take? Well nobody can tell you that until you give them a detailed spec.

If you're lucky you may be able to find a student/indie developer willing to accept profit share on the app as payment.

First thing to do though is sit down and plan exactly what you want your app to do and how you want it to do it. A good developer/company will help you iron out the details, but it's important to have a clear picture in your head beforehand.

I see, I have a good bit experience myself in web design php etc How easy would it be to learn how to make your own app? or is this a ridiculous question?

Thanks Muck

Well if you've done a little programming and reckon you have an aptitude for it, then its entirely feasible. Be prepared to put in a lot of hours becoming competent at it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

If money is tight it might be a better idea to cut a deal with another developer, share the work load and split the profits/costs.

At least you'll learn quicker and there'll be no large upfront costs or bills to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

selfdiy wrote: »
    If money is tight it might be a better idea to cut a deal with another developer, share the work load and split the profits/costs.

At least you'll learn quicker and there'll be no large upfront costs or bills to pay.

are you a developer by any chance? as a dev i will never take a profit share because most apps dont make money!

• Advertisement

are you a developer by any chance? as a dev i will never take a profit share because most apps dont make money!

Interesting.. :) So you have developed some apps already? How easy is it to learn? I know PHP, HTML already.. If say a site already worked with the Iphone would that not make developing it a lot easier? Thanks

Interesting.. :) So you have developed some apps already? How easy is it to learn? I know PHP, HTML already.. If say a site already worked with the Iphone would that not make developing it a lot easier? Thanks

how do you mean a site?

i am a php dev working for a web company, i did java in college but not to a very good level. since January I've built 4 apps that are in the Android Market, https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Prince+Solutions They arent the most complicated but it took me a while to get the grip of it, but the last app i built (glastonbury one) took me two days or so.

There are plenty of blogs and websites like android people and android tutorials that are a great help. any questions and i'd be happy to help as much as i can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

what software do you use to make an app hes asking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

I am a developer and I've worked on one or two opportunities where we would have split it 50/50

I havent hit the big one yet, if it even exists. But if it's only costing time I think it's worth the risk.

In any case you get a chance to make new contacts and other doors open, so you'll always get something back out of the effort you put in.

selfdiy wrote: »
    But if it's only costing time I think it's worth the risk.

Time is money and most successful devs/companies cant afford to waste any.

OP, if it's a case that you have a website and want an accompanying app, then the easiest thing would probably be to use your web skills to create a stripped down mobile version of the site. You could then 'appify' this by just using a webview or similar. The Boards Deals android app would be one such example of this.

• Advertisement

Numb.Muzik wrote: »
    what software do you use to make an app hes asking !!

android sdk and eclipse

Time is money and most successful devs/companies cant afford to waste any.

OP, if it's a case that you have a website and want an accompanying app, then the easiest thing would probably be to use your web skills to create a stripped down mobile version of the site. You could then 'appify' this by just using a webview or similar. The Boards Deals android app would be one such example of this.

I see, well to be honest my site is basic enough its just a javascript a bit of time went into the style etc.. In case your wondering the site is in my sig.. Just something I was thinking of doing in addition to the site. Was more curious than anything. Going to look into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

how do you mean a site?

i am a php dev working for a web company, i did java in college but not to a very good level. since January I've built 4 apps that are in the Android Market, https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Prince+Solutions They arent the most complicated but it took me a while to get the grip of it, but the last app i built (glastonbury one) took me two days or so.

There are plenty of blogs and websites like android people and android tutorials that are a great help. any questions and i'd be happy to help as much as i can!

Why charging €0.99 for them? There are numerous sophisticated apps out there for free.

Why charging €0.99 for them? There are numerous sophisticated apps out there for free.

Yes but isin't it due to the poor quality of them? A bigger better developed app would actually cost money?

If there are better apps for free then by all means use them instead. If a developer wants to charge for something that they built then that's their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Free apps are usually ad supported. You would possibly earn more money off this.

I read that Angry Birds makes more money on android because of ads, as opposed to paid iphone version.

Advertisement