Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SULPHATE OF IRON STAINS ON TARMAC

Options
  • 15-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove sulphate of iron stains from tarmac.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

This has just happened me too. Made a pigs ear out of trying to kill some moss on adjacent lawn beside my tarmac. Anyone any ideas how to remove it? It looks awful. Would a pressure washer shift it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

This has just happened me too. Made a pigs ear out of trying to kill some moss on adjacent lawn beside my tarmac. Anyone any ideas how to remove it? It looks awful. Would a pressure washer shift it?

While a pressure washer would or could work you need to be very careful not to remove the surface, (tarmac) hitting it with a pressure washer a few time from a 1-2 foot distance could be the solution.

While a pressure washer would or could work you need to be very careful not to remove the surface, (tarmac) hitting it with a pressure washer a few time from a 1-2 foot distance could be the solution.
    Will it effectively remove the rust stains though or should i be applying some chemical solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Will it effectively remove the rust stains though or should i be applying some chemical solution?

If it was me I would power wash, if you remove what caused the original problem, a simple application of bitumen on the area effected could work (a light coat, let it dry and 2-3 more light coats) to give it back its original color,

it might look different in color (new) but it will blend in after some weathering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

i have nitrogen stains on my concrete. my house is in the middle of the farm and next to a field and now every time after spreading fert in that field i have to go around with the leave blower to blow any of the fertilizer off it or else it will leave white stains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Wonder what the effect of applying some kind of alkaline solution would have? (I think iron is acidic)

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Wonder what the effect of applying some kind of alkaline solution would have? (I think iron is acidic)
    Not sure. I have been hearing about muriatic acid whatever that is, as an effective remover but apparently it's very harsh. The power washing didn't work so now I am pretty desperate. It looks bloody awful now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

PM sent

macadam wrote: »
    PM sent
    To fireman Sam or me??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conorodonovan

To fireman Sam or me??

Hi, I know this thread is 4 years old but I have a similar problem now. All suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Hi, I know this thread is 4 years old but I have a similar problem now. All suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks

Came across this while researching a different product (to remove red stains from external walls and chimney) looks promising
    http://weschem.ie/index.php/product/iron-sulfate-buster/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Doubt anything will work except sealing the surface.. Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conorodonovan

Thanks for the response.

You mention that nothing may work except sealing it. Is it too late to seal it as that would be a preventative rather than a cure for this? If it is something that may work now, is it possible to give me details?

I'm struggling to upload an image as it says my post cannot be submitted if it contains images or a URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roundone

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find an effective solution?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

i ended up doing nothing and time eventually solved it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roundone

How much time are we talking?! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

2 years

Advertisement