Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA gives out free cycling helmets

Options
  • 15-04-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭

From here:
    The AA have 5,000 Raleigh Missile helmets, RRP £27.99, to give away. They're fairly standard fare, with the addition of an integrated LED in the rear adjustment dial. King himself will be in attendance to help with the distibution, which is taking place today at Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4BN this morning and the west side of Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3NA from 1pm. Other locations may also be used, you can follow Edmund King on twitter for updates.

According to a recent poll commissioned by the AA, 97% of their members believe that cyclists should wear helmets, although only 18% of those members actually cycle themselves. The helmet giveaway is aimed primarily at the users of Boris Bikes, although any cyclist can claim one. “We welcome the increase in cycling brought about by the cycle hire scheme but we want to ensure that more cyclists don’t lead to more casualties. The use of cycle helmets and vests by all cyclists could significantly reduce the number and severity of injuries that occur each year", said King.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Nice of them to worry about cyclists and put the onus on them to "protect themselves" instead of improving their members' driving.

I never used to give a sh!t about cycling advocacy, all these news stories and PR campaigns are pushing me into caring though.

Isn't this a bit like the NRA giving out free bullet proof vests?

Isn't this a bit like the NRA giving out free bullet proof vests?

What have the National Road Authority got to do with bullets...... I'll get my coat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As someone who is about to buy a helmet, I'm very disappointed with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Nice of them to worry about cyclists and put the onus on them to "protect themselves" instead of improving their members' driving.

That's the main focus of the objections within the article itself but while it's a factor to consider I think there are many other glaring issues with this move by the AA too, not all of which get adequate space in the article in my view. Fundamentally it reinforces the flawed views that: helmets are necessary for cyclist safety; that a helmet is more important than any other initiatives; that the AA would like to encourage people to cycle; etc.

Regardless of whether someone believes it to be a brave move by the AA or a sinister move by the AA, personally I think it is detrimental to the public perception of cycling and will ultimately do more harm than good. Unfortunately the mindset of the AA, with regard to cycling and its supposed dangers, seems to be the norm these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Gardai were handing out RSA high-vis vests to cyclists on the Rathmines road last night.
    I politely declined, I have 3 at home that I don't wear, another one won't make a difference.

I do agree that the AA campaign is either misguided or deliberately targetted to make cycling appear more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's the AA in the UK isn't it, not AA Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

LOL i didn't read the article too closely. Don't email them everyone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I've always been vaguely annoyed at the advocacy stance of the AA. They talk of their 'members' as if they had all signed up to be part of a motorists' lobby group whereas most (including me) just want a nice man to get their car going every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

The CTC are handing out copies of the Highway Code at the same time, as a protest/reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

seamus wrote: »
    The Gardai were handing out RSA high-vis vests to cyclists on the Rathmines road last night.
    I politely declined, I have 3 at home that I don't wear, another one won't make a difference.
    Should've taken another one - very handy to have in the car for changing punctures at the side of the road. Also useful if visiting building sites, or marshalling races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The AA do promote safe driving also. It's not a case that they've decided to abandon safe driving - they're doing this in addition.

The AA do promote safe driving also. It's not a case that they've decided to abandon safe driving - they're doing this in addition.

I was a member for five years. I know they promote safer driving, my point is more that they should concentrate on that as part of their remit than insisting that others in a group which is not part of their association (people not as cyclists, maybe as drivers) protect themselves from their (the AA) members.

kenmc wrote:
    Should've taken another one - very handy to have in the car for changing punctures at the side of the road. Also useful if visiting building sites, or marshalling races.

Most cyclists are very visible when stranded beside their cars 'cos they turn the air around them a hi-viz blue due to the swearing that arises while they try to prise the punctured tyre off the rim with a couple of plastic tyre levers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

When I saw the thread title first I misread it as "A4 gives out free cycling helmets" and I was thinking "Jesus has there really been that many crashes this year that they're resorting to that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

kenmc wrote: »

In foreign it's mandatory to carry one in the car incase you do break down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

studiorat wrote: »
    In foreign it's mandatory to carry one in the car incase you do break down.

In my country, car fixes you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's many years since I've bought (or worn) a helmet,but don't they need to be fitted, rather than just given away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

What irritates me is the way RTÉ roll out AA Ireland to give a view on anything to do with roads and traffic and treat them, largely without proper questioning as far as I can tell, as if they were some sort of disinterested charity organization with the interests of all road users equally at heart rather than what they actually are, a private company derived from an organization originally founded for the purpose of helping motorists evade speed limit controls, still operating in the interests of motorists and only peripherally concerned with anyone else.

They have an agenda, and that's fine, but I for one am sceptical about what the assumptions underlying their decision to hand out helmets actually are, and what point their hoping to make.

• Advertisement

They have an agenda, and that's fine, but I for one am sceptical about what the assumptions underlying their decision to hand out helmets actually are, and what point their hoping to make.

The most charitable construction I can put on it is that it bolsters the image that they are pro-active experts on road safety.
    What irritates me is the way RTÉ roll out AA Ireland to give a view on anything to do with roads and traffic and treat them, largely without proper questioning as far as I can tell, as if they were some sort of disinterested charity organization with the interests of all road users equally at heart

Remember the experts rolled out to comment on trends in the property market a few years ago? Real estate agents and economists in the employ of banks, all with a vested interest in keeping the air flowing into the bubble. Still, at least they were right about the soft landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's many years since I've bought (or worn) a helmet,but don't they need to be fitted, rather than just given away?
    A lot of the cheaper ones are unifit; they will do basically any adult head size.

There can be great disparities in adult head size though. They surely can't be a reasonable fit for every adult?

EDIT: stopped being lazy and googled Uni-Fit. Seems to fit 54-62cm.

Whether the helmet theoretically fits doesn't matter as there will be a "kindly" AA man there to batter your head into it whatever it takes. Remember, it's for your own good 'cos the roads are very dangerous places to be for mere cyclists. Now lean forward and let the nice man stomp that helmet down on your head to make sure it's nice and tight. And don't forget to thank him as you leave, there is no place for rudeness on the AA's roads.

Advertisement