Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tell bank if renting out property

Options
  • 15-04-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Anybody able to tell me if I must legally tell bank if I rent out my home? My mortgage interest rate would change dramatically and I need to find out where I would stand on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

You should but they'll never find out either way so why commit yourself to handing over the extra cash each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shuvvy

Legally I should or morally I should?! Don't get me wrong I don't want to tell the bank if I don't absolutely have to but just afraid that there could be legal ramifications if they did somehow find out.

Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

shuvvy wrote: »
    Legally I should or morally I should?! Don't get me wrong I don't want to tell the bank if I don't absolutely have to but just afraid that there could be legal ramifications if they did somehow find out.

Thanks for replying.

Legally. the rate you are on would be on the basis of the property being your primary residence. Also if you are getting TRS it will be on the basis of the property being your primary residence. Terms would state you must inform them if this changes.

If you are renting it out it would not be viewed as your primary dwelling and you could be subject to a different interest rate, possibly one for investment mortgage as you will be gaining income from it.

Also you will need to change your home insurance as and i am not 100% but this will mean you have to inform your lender of this as they have the mortgage secured on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Can any one point out one case where a bank have moved someone from their existing rate to a buy to let rate?

I've not heard of any.

I've seen it plenty of time but the banks don't budge the rate and if the customer is in difficulty they treat it all the same.

chris85 wrote: »
    Legally. the rate you are on would be on the basis of the property being your primary residence. Also if you are getting TRS it will be on the basis of the property being your primary residence. Terms would state you must inform them if this changes.

If you are renting it out it would not be viewed as your primary dwelling and you could be subject to a different interest rate, possibly one for investment mortgage as you will be gaining income from it.

Also you will need to change your home insurance as and i am not 100% but this will mean you have to inform your lender of this as they have the mortgage secured on the property.

Yes trs and hi would have to change. All the bank are told about trs is to stop given it and as for the HI, the bank don't need to be told anything different as the current HI still protects the house, it just changes the insurance cover.

Op, call your bank and run it past them as a general query.

• Advertisement

Can any one point out one case where a bank have moved someone from their existing rate to a buy to let rate?

I've not heard of any.

I've seen it plenty of time but the banks don't budge the rate and if the customer is in difficulty they treat it all the same.

It happens. The bank would love any opportunity to raise rates. You cant just ask to point out a case where this has happened. This would not be in the public domain.

There is also the case of TRS. If this is being claimed on a rented out property it is tax evasion as it is not the person's primary residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

I've not heard of any.

I was moved from an existing rate to a Residential Investment Mortgage rate by KBC bank when I wrote to ask them to change my correspondence address. They were quick to want to know the reason why and I explained that I could no longer afford to live in the house and had to move out and subsidise the mortgage payments with rent coming in. Didn't make a difference to them - they slapped another 1% on top of the rate I was already on.

So believe me.... they do!!!

Fair enough. I would say it not as common across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

JodTT wrote: »
    I was moved from an existing rate to a Residential Investment Mortgage rate by KBC bank when I wrote to ask them to change my correspondence address. They were quick to want to know the reason why and I explained that I could no longer afford to live in the house and had to move out and subsidise the mortgage payments with rent coming in. Didn't make a difference to them - they slapped another 1% on top of the rate I was already on.

So believe me.... they do!!!

Thanks for posting.

I have heard lots of hearsay, but no actual personal experience.

My own experience is that this has NOT happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes trs and hi would have to change. All the bank are told about trs is to stop given it and as for the HI, the bank don't need to be told anything different as the current HI still protects the house, it just changes the insurance cover.

Op, call your bank and run it past them as a general query.

Tell revenue about TRS, they tell bank, bank probably won't care. Lots of reasons you may not be eligible for TRS, none of bank's business.

Tell home insurer. They WILL tell bank, bank probably won't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

And if you moving out of the house you have to inform the tax office too
    You will lose your mortgage interest relieve
    A friend of mine didnt
    His tenant asked for rent relief on the same address
    He had to pay it all back with huge fines

3DataModem wrote: »
    Tell revenue about TRS, they tell bank, bank probably won't care. Lots of reasons you may not be eligible for TRS, none of bank's business.

Tell home insurer. They WILL tell bank, bank probably won't care.

This is my thinking on this.

While it's happened to others I'd say this is by far the more common result.

This is my thinking on this.

While it's happened to others I'd say this is by far the more common result.

roll a dice!

Advertisement