Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying cleat pedals

Options
  • 14-04-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What cleat pedals would ye recommend for a 900 quid road bike?

Are they difficult to install? Is it just easier to let the bike shop throw them on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

They are easy to fit. I let the shop fit the pedals on my bike last year when I bought it at a cost of €60 iirc. I fit the same pedals on my new bike this year at a cost of €30. No brainer for me. I use Shimano R540 pedals, they are the only cleat type that I have experience with so I have nothing to compare them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

And the performance of cleat pedals is that much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nothing wrong with those pedals. Just remember to get SPD SL compatible shoes and cleats. I use Look Keos which are almost the same thing and whilst I've only used a mates SPD SL pedals once and I don't know what they were they offered a wider base and I liked them more.

You don't need a bike shop to install them, just the relevant allen key to pop your old ones out, tiny bit of grease on the thread before screwing in to help prevent them freezing on.

Note when you remove the old ones they'll probably be quite stiff to unscrew so you'll need good leverage also importantly the right pedal loosens the normal way (counter clockwise) but the left pedal loosens clockwise.

EDIT: CRC or Wiggle will probably be cheaper tho (I'm in UK, no idea what delivery charges are so check that as well).

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You don't need a bike shop to install them, just the relevant allen key to pop your old ones out, tiny bit of grease on the thread before screwing in to help prevent them freezing on.

Not all pedals use an allen key - if they don't then you will need a 15mm pedal spanner.

Advertisement