Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linguistics Masters in UCD?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Linguistics Masters in UCD?
    What the timetable was like and whether it was a lot of project work or mainly exams?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Linguistics Masters in UCD?
    What the timetable was like and whether it was a lot of project work or mainly exams?

Thanks!

I know somebody that did it a few years ago. Very few hours with lectures, first semester seemed to have a lot of free time to be honest. Second semester you can start your dissertation but still compared to other postgrads theres a lot of free time.
    Have you studied linguistics as undergrad in ucd? The Masters is like the next level of that so same subjects as undergrad. Not many modules so not many exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Thanks for the reply.

I actually haven't studied Linguistics at all but I'm really interested in it. My degree is in Modern Irish and English and I'll be doing a grad diploma in translations soon enough so the MA would tie in nicely with where I want to be heading. I had a look through the course description and it said the course was also open to people who hadn't studied Linguistics before so I'm prepared to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calcetina

Hi An Cuinneach,

I am going to apply for this course for Sept 2012. Did you go for the course? How are you getting on with it?? And what's the timetable like??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Hey there,

It's fantastic! Just had my last class of 2011 this morning funnily enough.

Timetable: Great, only three days a week (Tue-Thurs), depends on what modules you choose. Some of the other guys chose Morphology which is on a Monday.

Hours: 3hrs on Tuesday, 4hrs on Wednesday, 1hr on Thursday.

Staff: Excellent. Small enough department so you'll quickly get to know them, really great lecturers and their doors are always open for you to drop in with questions.

Subjects: I had Meaning, Phonology, Minority Languages and Second Languge Acquisition this semester, though like I said Morphology was also an option. All really interesting subjects and since you don't need a Linguistics background (most of my classmates don't have one), there are introductory classes.

If you're interested in Linguistics - I'd definitely recommend it! :)
    Let me know if you have any questions,
    An Cuinneach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calcetina

Thanks for the quick response!! That's all very helpful info!!

I've been trying to decide between this and the one in Trinity which is a good bit pricier. I'm glad to hear someone is having such a positive experience with it.

I've a BA in Spanish and Anthropology and have done a TEFL course online- and probably not worth the paper it was printed on-but it did lead me into the idea of pursuing a qualification in linguistics nonetheless!

I'm not sure where I'm going with it, I've always enjoyed languages throughout school, though I've always been a fairly average student. It seems linguistics is quite broad, but seeing as though this is what I enjoy I suppose the big picture will form somewhere along the route!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hey all

Thanks for some great info there. So good to hear from people actually on the courses. I have a degree in International Business with French and Spanish, I've been teaching French and Spanish now for 3 years in further education and my main interests would be in Second Language Acquisition and Second Langauge Teaching and Learning.

Do you think I should go for this Masters in Linguistics or with my interests would I be more suited to a Masters in Applied Linguistics in UCC or Trinity?

Advertisement