Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia KDL-32EX301 LCD TV €329 in Tesco Xtra

Options
  • 14-04-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Saw this in the Drogheda store on Wednesday. Not sure about the ability of the TV to accept Irish Saorview. But it's a Bravia TV and I never saw one that didn't impress me a lot.

Specs here:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yup, it has got a built-in TV tuner

Bargain! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Some caution needed. Sony KDL-32EX301 not listed on Saorview Approved Sony Product Listings. However according to Sony's Technical Specs for KDL-32EX301 it has the necessary DVB-T/MPEG-4 tuner for Saorview HD DTT; also has analogue & cable tuners. If it doesn't have MHEG 5 (no mention in technical spec) simply return it to Tesco for full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

Currently receiving saorview on my Samsung 32" which is over a year old using a coat hanger... Don't think it's on the list. Methinks saorview have a deal done with a set-top box maker-a ploy to sell more product maybe, grrrr:mad:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, that TV works fine with Saorview. I suppose, you could say it's "Saorview compatible" as opposed to "Saorview certified" :)

Saorview or RTÉ haven't done a deal with a set-top box maker.... many new 2011 Samsung and Sony TV's do now have Saorview certification - I guess they didn't deem it worth their while or money certifying their existing stock, since the service still hasn't officially launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

TBF, i wouldnt pay much more for this tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I saw this in Tesco Wilton in Cork yesterday so presumably its nationwide.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32c450&brands=SAMSUNG&image=2-webbannermiddle2

This is a better deal btw, this weekend only though. Probably a remarkably similar tv to the Sony seeing as Sony and Samsung share panels. That in mind, you may as well save 30€! Of late as well, Samsungs build quality has surpassed Sonys IMO

byte

:eek: My God, TV's are getting seriously cheap. The price of that Samsung is great. Between the two sets, I'd go for the Samsung.

Samsung and Sony no longer share panels. High end Sony TV's use Sharp panels, though not sure what's used in lower end of the scale.

Sony have used Sharp panels on some of their high end stuff but they still mostly use SPVA panels, which is the panel production that Sony and Samsung jointly own. The Sony mentioned above definitely uses a SPVA panel

There is a thread on AVForums that i cant find for the life of me, In it theres a list of what panels all mainstream sets actually use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Zonda999 wrote: »

There is a thread on AVForums that i cant find for the life of me, In it theres a list of what panels all mainstream sets actually use

Here:

gebbel wrote: »
    Theres another one again though that gives a lot more detail than that, and i mean by specific model and everything, i think i might have it bookmarked on another computer, i'll have to dig it out..

• Advertisement
    byte

Sony have used Sharp panels on some of their high end stuff but they still mostly use SPVA panels, which is the panel production that Sony and Samsung jointly own. The Sony mentioned above definitely uses a SPVA panel

Ah, I stand corrected.

If you find that link, that'd be cool.

Sorry for OT...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1113353-lcd-matrices-differences-what-models-placed.html

Here we are, some amount of info there...

They use an extremely similar panel alright, Samsung's version has slightly newer version apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Sorry for this but I don't know why this Saorview-certified comes up all the time. It's more important to look for whether the tv's got mpeg-4 tuner or not. If it was manufactured for the eu market that most likely to work here. I've got a usb stick which is certainly not certified but picks all the 17 tvs and radios available at the moment. Epg works too. So mpeg-4 is your friend! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I saw this in Tesco Wilton in Cork yesterday so presumably its nationwide.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32c450&brands=SAMSUNG&image=2-webbannermiddle2

This is a better deal btw, this weekend only though. Probably a remarkably similar tv to the Sony seeing as Sony and Samsung share panels. That in mind, you may as well save 30€! Of late as well, Samsungs build quality has surpassed Sonys IMO

That Samsung is either gone from the PowerCity site or it's gone ip to €379.
    Bummer, that looked like a good deal too.

moz wrote: »
    That Samsung is either gone from the PowerCity site or it's gone ip to €379.
    Bummer, that looked like a good deal too.
    No, its gone by the looks of thing, that €380 one is a full HD model. Yeah, it was a damn good deal for €300 alright. It was a 2010 model though, about time the 2011 models started arriving..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alser

I bought that Sony from Tesco and the Irish digital stations are fine. A bargain imo..

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32C450&pages=1&prod=32C450&brands=SAMSUNG&image=2-webbannermiddle2

The 32" samsung for 300€ in power city is back... Might be of some use to someone. Remember this is definitely Saorview compatible...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Has anyone successfully picked up Saorview on this Sony KDL32EX301?

I tried the digital tuner the other day and the only stations it picks up are RTE One and City Channel. All other channels have been assigned a channel number but don't display anything. On the Sony site it says the TV comes with a Freeview tuner (which is MPEG-2 for Britain I believe) but I'm just wondering why it picks up RTE One and City Channel!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I tried the digital tuner the other day and the only stations it picks up are RTE One and City Channel. All other channels have been assigned a channel number but don't display anything. On the Sony site it says the TV comes with a Freeview tuner (which is MPEG-2 for Britain I believe) but I'm just wondering why it picks up RTE One and City Channel!

Sounds like you have UPC (Chorus/NTL) cable or MMDS plugged into it, rather then a terrestrial aerial.

Saorview requires a terrestrial aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like you have UPC (Chorus/NTL) cable or MMDS plugged into it, rather then a terrestrial aerial.

Saorview requires a terrestrial aerial.

I just realised that afterwards - I didn't know an aerial was required when the digital tuner was built into the telly. Is the general consensus that Saorview is useless once you have a normal UPC connection? The reception in my bedroom is brutal (even with the UPC cable plugged in) and I was hoping to pick up Saorview in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just realised that afterwards - I didn't know an aerial was required when the digital tuner was built into the telly. Is the general consensus that Saorview is useless once you have a normal UPC connection? The reception in my bedroom is brutal (even with the UPC cable plugged in) and I was hoping to pick up Saorview in the room.

Well an indoor rabbits ear aerial might be good enough to pick up Saorview, depending on your distance from the transmitter, but no guarantees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement