Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured Bullock???

Options
  • 14-04-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Bought a few white CH weanling bullocks a week ago let them out in the morning (Thursday) all ok, checked that evening still ok.
    Next morning (Friday) noticed one a bit lame on a front foot, looked a bit swollen so injected 20cc PenStrep straight away.
    Sat evening I thought no improvement so gave him the same again.
    Sun/Mon no great change but on Tues morning he could hardly walk - back left as well as front right now lame. Also a bit bloated (maybe due to lying down a lot and grazing like mad for short spells)
    Decided to play it safe called the vet. Bullock very quiet and we were able to lift and examine both feet. No evidence of foot/hoof injury - Vet said he didn't think it was typical foul although both feet were a little hot.
    He gave him an anti inflammatory shot and said see how he goes said it was a bit of a mystery but it must be some sort of an injury although no dislocation. I'm a bit puzzled too - he was in a completely clean electric fenced paddock.

To me he looks pretty bad and a few days on no sign of improvement.
    Could he get this badly injured from another weanling jumping on him (all around 280-290 kg).

Could it be a back injury? Is there any other condition that could cause this?
    Anyone have anything like this or any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Random question but linked

Is his tail ok? Any cuts on it? or has it been shortened or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Random question but linked

Is his tail ok? Any cuts on it? or has it been shortened or anything?

I gave him copper/blackleg etc.. before letting him out and I actually clipped his tail as it was a bit long and dirty and didn't notice anything but I'll have a closer look.
    He was pinched with a burdizzo also and is a little swelled but nothing significant. Thinking this might be part of the problem but the guy that did it is v experienced and in any case his initial problem was with the front foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Was only asking because we have lost several cattle in the past to a thing called joint ill, don't know the technical term for it

Basically what it is is a cut on the tail getting infected, this infection spreads to the spine and spreads giving very swollen joints and limbs on several legs. The animal will be severly effected and can be practically crippled.

It seems to be mainly caused by a cut when clipping the tails (at housing) or the tail gets throdden on in the slats over winter

The bad news is that we have yet to succesfully cure a bullock that got it, despite a lot of vetinary input. I have no idea though if your guy has it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

think Tyline would be the drug of choice. it gets into the joints. but not long acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

keep shoving the anti inflammatory into him, ie flunixin, maybe also Tylosin as an anti-batercial if spine damaged, as a just in case

• Advertisement

Thanks for all comments,
    I think he is a little improved this morning - moving a bit more freely but still not great.
    The other cattle were chasing him/rising on him a lot so I split a paddock and left him on his own.
    Rang the vet and he is not keen on more anti inflammatory at this stage but says if he doesn't improve significantly to give him more on Monday. Vet is never keen on big doses of anything but he is the expert.

No damage to his tail but am I correct in thinking that joint ill is a disease of newborn calves (this animal is almost a year old). Maybe there are variations for older cattle but his joints are not swollen.
    He did have a very slightly elevated temperature but vet said it was not significant.
    He is grazing well and wolfing down the meal I give him.
    I suppose it is just a case of wait and see.

Just a note to say my weanling has almost completely recovered.

To be honest I didn't think he would as I (limited experience admittedly) have never seen anything as bad.
    I was keen to put a lot on anti-inflammatory into him but my very experienced vet said no and just leave him.

Vet was spot on.

Advertisement