Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's This ?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Dunno where to start but I noticed earlier in my tank an load of small bubbles all formed together and I think that they could be eggs.

img0075r.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img0076c.jpg

img0077ni.jpg

I have 6 fish in the tank at the moment. 3 Neon tetras gender (unknown), 1 Siamese fighting fish (male) and 2 Corydoras (one bronze and one albino ).

Other then the fighter the other 5 have being in the tank for about two years now if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Looks like a bouble nest your Siamese fighting is building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

m8 wrote: »
    Looks like a bouble nest your Siamese fighting is building.

Would that have anything to do with the lump he had under his neck ? :)

Thanks

Would'nt think so...they usually only build a nest when paired to a female and she's ready to lay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Would'nt think so...they usually only build a nest when paired to a female and she's ready to lay.

Hmm strange one. That his lump is not there anymore.

Tbh I've giving up on the male & female fighters in my tank.....always ends up going down the Ike and Tina Turner road :rolleyes:

Males & Females don't fight each other but sometimes some short fin male species of beta are sold as females and they would fight. Maybe next time get a few females to take the presure of the chase off one female ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Thats definately the bubble nest made by the male betta. Heres another pic ive stolen off the net showing it up close
    Livingston-04-4919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Males & Females don't fight each other but sometimes some short fin male species of beta are sold as females and they would fight. Maybe next time get a few females to take the presure of the chase off one female ;)

Males and Females will fight depending on the character of the fish and the setting in which they are in.

If you are trying to breed Betta's it is best to keep them apart, to ensure they will be in their best condition for mating, which sometimes can be a violent affair.

If they have successfully spawned, then it is necessary to remove the female, as she normally likes a bit of caviar - and the male will kill her if he feels he has to in order to protect the eggs.

It is not as hard to breed betta's as some other species, however it is a very protracted and time consuming task once everyone has committed to it :D

A male does not have to be in the presence of a female to build a nest either, he will do so given the correct water conditions in anticipation of such an encounter I suppose. I've had many a male build a bubble nest when the filter doesn't disrupt the water too much.

Advertisement