Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank in the U.K

Options
  • 14-04-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys,
    I hope someone has some advice on this. I'm moving to the U.K and am unsure what bank to open and account with. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone have a U.K bank account and happy with their services?
    Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paolo1982

Definetly HSBC!! That is who i bank with and they are great, u can also do international transfers online, so if you need to send cash home you can. So get into HSBC. Also if you wanted to get the account open before you they offer this account https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/current-accounts/passport which you can open before you go and all you need to do is turn up at any HSBC with your passport and your Irish statement with your Irish address. So you do not need to wait until you have a permanent UK address. The only downside is that they charge £8.00 a month and after the 12 months you can upgrade to the full account. If you decide not to do that you will have to prove your UK address and some UK banks will want 3 months UK bank statements and at least 3 years in the UK if you want credit facilities so up to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crunchie84

Thanks for your help Paolo-will definitely look into that. I didn't realise it was so difficult to open an account in the U.K

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Have you looked at Bank of Ireland (Northern Ireland) they offer you an account and atm/debit card - you can use this in any UK Post Office and ATM.

You can start off with your Irish address and when you're settled in UK change the address to England etc.

Drop into their Newry branch, passport and prof of address, if you bank with BOI here its even more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

crunchie84 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I hope someone has some advice on this. I'm moving to the U.K and am unsure what bank to open and account with. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone have a U.K bank account and happy with their services?
    Thanks in advance :D

I have a current account, credit card and mini cash isa with Lloyds TSB. They are grand but if i was opening an account tomorrow i would go with Nationwide.

One thing i would do if i was you, is get a national insurance card asap. I dont know if you are a student or working full time etc but whatever you are doing this card will help with applications on most things. It isnt a proof of address though. You would need this for work, tax free savings account etc.

A Tenency agreement and a passport/drivers licence may be good enough to open a bank account straight away but banks will differ, as they do in ireland. Its difficult to advise further not knowing your personal circumstances.

Go in and have a chat with an advisor of a few different banks, you may need to shop around so to speak. When i moved back to Ireland i had trouble opening an account, BOI looked at me like i had 2 heads when i went in there. PTSB opened one straight away with the same info i gave BOI, if you see my point about shopping around.

Thanks for replying Dublin Daz and daithijjj. No i'm not a student i'm working in healthcare. It is a permanent position that i am taking up and expect to stay in the U.K for a few years. The trust that i will be working in are taking care of my N.I application and i expect i won't get that until i start work.
    I was looking at the account that Paolo suggested and the fees seem quite steep as he mentioned. At the moment i have free banking here so i presumed that there would be free banking in the U.K

• Advertisement

crunchie84 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying Dublin Daz and daithijjj. No i'm not a student i'm working in healthcare. It is a permanent position that i am taking up and expect to stay in the U.K for a few years. The trust that i will be working in are taking care of my N.I application and i expect i won't get that until i start work.
    I was looking at the account that Paolo suggested and the fees seem quite steep as he mentioned. At the moment i have free banking here so i presumed that there would be free banking in the U.K

You should be able to get free banking on a new current account, opening the account is the only obstacle. Like i mentioned above, if i was opening an account tomorrow id go here.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/account_benefits.htm

Great thanks Daithijjj!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The Co-operative or their internet banking arm Smile. 10+ years as a very happy customer, and their ethical policy gets a thumbs up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I went with barcleys op. Just go wit them with your letter from your national insurance application or a lease if you have it. Plus a valid passport. standard Current account is free plus good rates on their isa savings account. Avoid natwest like the plague imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

I went with Lloyds - only OK - but I didn't want to pay a monthly fee, they are really keen on pushing these monthly fee accounts

RBS/NatWest are OK too.

Nationwide seem a lot more customer friendly

• Advertisement

I went with Lloyds - only OK - but I didn't want to pay a monthly fee, they are really keen on pushing these monthly fee accounts

RBS/NatWest are OK too.

Nationwide seem a lot more customer friendly

This is why i am leaving lloyds. When i started paying a monthly fee it was 1 pound, its up to 8.95 now. Will be voting with my feet next month and transferring isa also.

Advertisement