Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire S available now on meteor.ie -should I wait for sensation?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm due for an upgrade and can get this for €130 on the €30 a month plan.

I might hold out for the sensation though. I bought the legend last year and the desire was released a few days later. Does anyone know if Meteor will be getting the Sensation or will this be a Vodafone exclusive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Vodafone exclusive is only for a few weeks so I wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Desire S is only a minor upgrade to the original which it outdated tech at this point in time when compared to the Sensation which is much more future proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Venom wrote: »
    The Desire S is only a minor upgrade to the original which it outdated tech at this point in time when compared to the Sensation which is much more future proof.

What makes the Sensation more future proof? Greater likelihood of updates to new Android versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

RichyX wrote: »
    What makes the Sensation more future proof? Greater likelihood of updates to new Android versions?

Not necessarily. The Desire has a huge mod dev following so it will get likely updates. I'd anticipate getting Sense 3.0 very soon after the Sensation release on the Desires by the dev community.

The Sensation is likely to be costly so if you're prepared to pay over the odss then wait otherwise enjoy the desire S for a while first and then upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

yeh, I think I'll wait another month and see if Meteor announce some other phones. I wouldn't spend more than €200 though, so might end up getting the desire s if sensation is too expensive.

I love the look of the evo 3d but I guess that's going to be very pricey. Any word on a european release date for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RichyX wrote: »

The sensation is more future proof due to it having a dual core CPU which Icescream or what ever Android version comes after Gingerbread is said to require.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

xtal191 wrote: »

It's rubbish like this that makes me glad that google are starting to dictate the level of manufacturer customization that's allowed. Their excuse that "older phones" can't have sense 3.0 owing to hardware requirements is complete crap. If it was true that 3 requires a dual core to function then there's something deeply wrong with the ui. This is just HTC trying to incentizise customers into buying new hardware at the expense of supporting other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Anyone know when 3 will have the new HTC model? I was told 2 wks from now (approx.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

maupat wrote: »
    Anyone know when 3 will have the new HTC model? I was told 2 wks from now (approx.)

Similar question, any idea when the sensation will be available on O2?:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

O2 won't be getting the sensation. see http://community.o2online.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-Sensation/td-p/247098

I'm on meteor and now due an upgrade. Meteor customer care told me they are looking into getting the sensation. Hopefully won't have to wait too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

maupat wrote: »
    I rang them today and one of reps didn't know about this phone at all.
    he said that somebody will give me a call today - nobody did :)
    I'm definitely going for sensation and will have DHD for sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Not liking the design of these new HTC phones at all. The hero and the legend were gorgeous looking, these new ones just look like boring slabs of black plastic.

Taking away the physical buttons on this one was a bad choice too IMO. Original Desire looks nicer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Vodafone customers will be able to get their hands on the new HTC Sensation before anyone else! Watch this space for more info....^Paul

From twitter

iwo wrote: »
    I rang them today and one of reps didn't know about this phone at all.
    he said that somebody will give me a call today - nobody did :)
    I'm definitely going for sensation and will have DHD for sale...

Sensation will be available in two months on three... buuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Had a poke around on the Desire S today. I have to say it's a lovely looking phone. I think a lot of it will boil down to screen size. 4.3 inches is substantially bigger and the form factor will have to be more bulky to accomodata that. I thought the S was a nice slim phone, beautiful build.
    the disadvantage is Froyo and sense 2, the Sensation will have an extra core, Sense 3.0 and gingerbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Not necessarily. The Desire has a huge mod dev following so it will get likely updates. I'd anticipate getting Sense 3.0 very soon after the Sensation release on the Desires by the dev community.

The Sensation is likely to be costly so if you're prepared to pay over the odss then wait otherwise enjoy the desire S for a while first and then upgrade.

The developer community do not have tend to have a huge interest in porting sense to their ROMs as it tends to slow them down and consume battery, so I wouldn't bank on too many of them trying to bring Sense 3.0 to Desire. Desire will however get Gingerbread officially so it makes you wonder why get the Desire S?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Interesting that Meteor's website prices are the same for the Desire and the Desire S (except for on the maximum tariff). Is this an indication that the new phone isn't all it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

mmrs wrote: »
    O2 won't be getting the sensation. see http://community.o2online.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-Sensation/td-p/247098

I'm on meteor and now due an upgrade. Meteor customer care told me they are looking into getting the sensation. Hopefully won't have to wait too long.

O2uk are getting the Sensation according to their twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/O2/status/58202460409438208

Tbh if O2 Ireland are not getting it id be very disappointed, i'll wait a while to get 100% confirmation from O2 here before deciding what to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think it came from one of their company reps on their own support forum, so I would take it as read that the Sensation will not be on o2-IRL.

The S range is clearly a light refresh of a great handset. It's not up at the very top of the tree, with the Sensation, but it is still worth a look, IMHO. Seeing it next to the original desire today, aesthetically it is a major upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah I saw that, hopefully she just grabbed the info form here, as she references these phones on her posts. Fingers Crossed :D

I have the Desire and don't see the "S" as a justifiable upgrade personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

bd250110 wrote: »
    Had a poke around on the Desire S today. I have to say it's a lovely looking phone. I think a lot of it will boil down to screen size. 4.3 inches is substantially bigger and the form factor will have to be more bulky to accomodata that. I thought the S was a nice slim phone, beautiful build.
    the disadvantage is Froyo and sense 2, the Sensation will have an extra core, Sense 3.0 and gingerbread.
    Desire S comes with Gingerbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

Have a legend for the past 18 months.

Initially loved it but since I upgraded to Froyo after Christmas finding it more and more laggy. Not the only person - know a few others who also have fallen out of love with it for the same reason.

So...

I'm looking for a new phone - friend recently got the Desire as part of his o2 upgrade.

Initially chose the legend over the desire as I thought it was better looking and more comfortable sizewise in my hand. But over time I've gotten used to the Desire and last weekend after playing with my friend's model the size is no longer any issue.

So my question(s) to the board is:
    • How much of an upgrade is the Desire S to the original Desire?
    • Am I better off waiting for the Sensation?

Initially thrown off the idea of the Sensation by the 4.3inch screen but reckon over time I'll just get used to it like I have now with the Desire.

No_Deal wrote: »
    Have a legend for the past 18 months.

Initially loved it but since I upgraded to Froyo after Christmas finding it more and more laggy. Not the only person - know a few others who also have fallen out of love with it for the same reason.

So...

I'm looking for a new phone - friend recently got the Desire as part of his o2 upgrade.

Initially chose the legend over the desire as I thought it was better looking and more comfortable sizewise in my hand. But over time I've gotten used to the Desire and last weekend after playing with my friend's model the size is no longer any issue.

So my question(s) to the board is:
    • How much of an upgrade is the Desire S to the original Desire?
    • Am I better off waiting for the Sensation?

Initially thrown off the idea of the Sensation by the 4.3inch screen but reckon over time I'll just get used to it like I have now with the Desire.

1. please see few links bellow:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/02/15/htc-desire-vs-htc-desire-s-no-reason-to-upgade/

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/htc-desire-s-vs-htc-desire-whats-the-difference-50002925/

I would wait for sensation. Bigger screen is much more comfortable for watching movies, checking youtube, web browsking, reading magazines and books...List is long. Once you use 4.3 or bigger it will be very hard to come back to smaller screen. I use DHD at the moment.

Advertisement