Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much light?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I still cant get my head around the horrible brown algae that some have said not to sweat about:( (I have two musk turtles in a 120L tank half/3/4 filled - gravel, fake plants, dock, fluval 305 external filter - raised the outlet pipe as suggested some time ago, heat 25degrees C, Lights come on for 4.5 hrs in the evening, curtains closed during bright days, water change every 10 - 14 days using Nitrafin Aqua plus and Aqua Cycle.)

Im taking them to the pet shop next week where I bought them for a holiday - my backup to mind them while im gone has become unwell and cant call so had to do it this way.

In the meantime I asked them why I wasn't able to get rid of the algae and if I was doing something wrong.

All was correct, except I need to clean sponges once a month, which I don't.

My problem with the principle of this is:

If you clean the sponges, and the water is still dirty and full of algae, wont the filter just contain the same quantity of algae and keep filtering this around the tank just as soon as the thing is turned on again?:confused:

This of course is based on the information that one should not change/clean the filter at the same time as the water change.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

algae need 2 things to grow. Food and light.

Are you over feeding the turtles?

Also smaller tanks are alot harder to maintain. I've a 350l tank and no algae. My 90l is a pain in the hole to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

godtabh wrote: »
    algae need 2 things to grow. Food and light.

Are you over feeding the turtles?

Also smaller tanks are alot harder to maintain. I've a 350l tank and no algae. My 90l is a pain in the hole to keep going.

Mine is 120L so I guess thats no help, but not a hope I can upgrade. Just spent 2 hrs cleaning the whole set up, tank, gravel filter etc. Ive switched to every second day feeding, cancelled the automatic feeder as Ive decided to send the turtles away when we go on long hols.

Thanks for advice.

Advertisement