Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plot point: children's disease

Options
  • 14-04-2011 9:21am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of a disease which we could consider innocuous in the West but which might kill off a young child in a remote civilisation if it were introduced there. There are loads of possibilities, but I specifically need something that will only really affect the very young and can be carried by adults without any obvious symproms. The symptoms in the children should be visible on close examination but not flagrant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

I couldn't think of any diseases, but i was trying to think of the various unintended consequences of colonials and natives interacting in terms of something commonplace the westerner brings into an environment not used to it, like alcohol, butane lighters, coca-cola, baby formula...is that a useful line of enquiry?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not really - the only contact has been one tribe member who was abroad for some time and brought back the disease. I'm thinking of leaving it as some vague low-level flu or maybe something genetically transmitted - that could throw up another little twist ("There are some very hairy babies on Craggy Island and I think you are the hairy baby maker!")

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Maybe Pertussis (Whooping Cough or The 100 Days Cough). Adults can carry it but aren't likely to very effected by it. It's extremely dangerous to babies, toddlers and younger children. At present over quarter of a million children die from it each year. Though in the western world it's vaccinated against so is rare and can be treated easily with antibiotics if caught.

The number of adult carriers is currently rising as the vaccination doesn't offer lifelong protection. There is a call for adults to be revaccinated as at present they don't because the illness poses so little threat to adults but we can carry it an be infectious for weeks before we have any idea about it.

Good shout. I was thinking of meningitis earlier but I'm not sure it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

As someone who's had whooping cough, it's a very good idea. I was terribly sick iwth it when I was around eight for roughly six months since my Doctor didn't know what was causing my illness. It really is an awful thing to have, especially when it's not being treated.

• Advertisement

I had it for about the same, 5-6 months but it didn't seem like a particularly deadly illness. Do those that die from it do so after a long period of illness or more quickly?

Advertisement