Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name spelling

Options
  • 13-04-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I know that Lívia does not have an equivalent in Gaelic, but I really wanted it written in Gaelic.

How can I spell it? Would Líbhia sound the same as Lívia, and if so, would it be okay to write it like that?

Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

lywn wrote: »
    I know that Lívia does not have an equivalent in Gaelic, but I really wanted it written in Gaelic.

How can I spell it? Would Líbhia sound the same as Lívia, and if so, would it be okay to write it like that?

Thanks!!

Would you mind spelling your name phonetically?

ie is it Liv-e-a or Lee-v-a or something else?

In Irish a bh will give a v sound so It should be ok. As for if its ok to write it like that, if it sounds right when spoken then there shouldn't be a problem, though If you wanted to officially change your name to that I am not sure, I doubt you would need a deed poll to do it, but because it is not really a traditional name, you might encounter a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lywn

So, my name is pronounced LEE-vee-a.

I don't want to legally change my name or anything, just want to make a pendant with my name written in Gaelic and maaaybe get a tatoo.. But I wanted it to be right, so if a Gael were to read it he or she would pronounce it the way it is...

Also, how would you spell Kevin..? Again, to sound the same. (Although I think Kevin has an equivalent..right?)

Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Caoimhín/Caomhán - Kevin

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Caoimhín/Caomhán - Kevin

Thanks!!! :D

Would you mind spelling your name phonetically?

ie is it Liv-e-a or Lee-v-a or something else?

In Irish a bh will give a v sound so It should be ok. As for if its ok to write it like that, if it sounds right when spoken then there shouldn't be a problem, though If you wanted to officially change your name to that I am not sure, I doubt you would need a deed poll to do it, but because it is not really a traditional name, you might encounter a problem.

I tried typing it here http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php so I could hear it and it sounds pretty much right, and the pronounciation is closer to how it sounds in Portuguese...

I also tried Límhia, that sounds the same as with the bh, and also Laobhia and Laomhia, that sound more like the English pronounciation of my name.

Is there a rule for the use of mh or bh? In the case of Kevin - Caoimhín - it was mh.. Oh so confuusing!! Hehe!

Sorry for the amount of questions, and thanks again for the help! :}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Laoibhia is the closest you'll get in Irish, though some people will read that as LEE-va instead of LEE-vee-ah. The ia at the end looks odd in Irish.

Though, there's no harm in inventing a new Irish name and see if it catches on :)

aoi = EE - eg. Aoife, Aoileann, Aoibh

Personally, I would just use Laoibhe - LEE-va - to avoid confusion.

If you wanted to officially change your name to that I am not sure, I doubt you would need a deed poll to do it, but because it is not really a traditional name, you might encounter a problem.

I've been down this road before when I wanted my name on my passport in Irish.

You have to provide evidence that you have been using the Irish form of you name for at least 2 years before the date of application.

Basically, you need to give the passport office copies of official letters (bills, etc) that were sent to your address in your Irish name over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

"Anna Livia" is the traditional Latin name for the personification of the River Liffey.

How about the Irish for Liffey, Life (pron. LIFF-uh)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I've been down this road before when I wanted my name on my passport in Irish.

You have to provide evidence that you have been using the Irish form of you name for at least 2 years before the date of application.

Basically, you need to give the passport office copies of official letters (bills, etc) that were sent to your address in your Irish name over the past 2 years.

Well for Drivers Licence and as far as I know, the age Card, you can Just request them with your Irish name.

I know I changed my drivers Licence to my Irish name with no questions asked.(Well except 'How do you spell that':D )

Advertisement