Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Geography project help!

Options
  • 13-04-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

My geography teacher has pulled out notes used for a previous Geography leaving cert project entiitled along the lines of "Land use".

But our project iS "Changing economic landscape in a rural or urban setting". The notes she is giving us are about the soil and about a monument in our local area and she made us measure it and find angles and all this crap. But sureley this has nothing to do with the changing economic landscape. I told her this but she wont let me write anything in my book without her reading it.

She kept the books from us untill she had her own notes written up.
    I finally confronted her and explained my own views but she became very short with me.

So I was wondering, does the soil, angles of monuments and religious activity hundreds of years ago have anything to do with economy? My guess... No.

But now its done and there is nothing I can do because she forced this upon everyone in the class. Its so frustrating.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Firstly, are you dong your Leaving Cert in 2011, or 2012?

If it's 2011, then the topics are as follows
    1. Geomorphic processes of transportation and/or deposition in a
    fluvial or coastal environment.
    2. Human interaction with the geomorphic processes in a glacial or
    coastal or fluvial or karst environment.
    3. A study of how land-use affects traffic flow patterns in a local
    area.
    4. Analysis of a waste management strategy in a local area.
    5. Fifty years of population – a local demographic study.
    6. The changing economic landscape in a rural or urban setting.

This comes from this document - print it out and show it to your teacher - she should know this, of course, but she clearly doesn't.

What you are doing has nothing to do with the economy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

Firstly, are you dong your Leaving Cert in 2011, or 2012?

If it's 2011, then the topics are as follows
    1. Geomorphic processes of transportation and/or deposition in a
    fluvial or coastal environment.
    2. Human interaction with the geomorphic processes in a glacial or
    coastal or fluvial or karst environment.
    3. A study of how land-use affects traffic flow patterns in a local
    area.
    4. Analysis of a waste management strategy in a local area.
    5. Fifty years of population – a local demographic study.
    6. The changing economic landscape in a rural or urban setting.

This comes from this document - print it out and show it to your teacher - she should know this, of course, but she clearly doesn't.

What you are doing has nothing to do with the economy :eek:

Dude, she is seriously off the wall. I'm doing my leaving certificate this year. She wouldnt let us do the project till the past couple of weeks and even then she wont let us do it in class but yet is revsing stuff we have done. Every single person in the class has argued with her about this but she just wont listen. She thinks she is above us because she is married to the principal. I dont know what to do because now thats my Geography project completley ****ed up. I dont have time to redo it, and even if I wanted to she would not let me and just report to the principal A.K.A her husband that I am being disrespectful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Our class is doing the changing economic landscape project too ..
    We are doing it in an urban setting though - looked at old maps and aerial pictures, and showed how economic activity has moved from the CBD to junctions on the new bypass.. interviewed businesses, and showed level of movement of businesses from cbd to transition zones and by the bypass.. also the amount of vacant retail units because of the recession..
    Land use may have more to do with the rural setting?.. Or even why a urban area developed there in the first place - the first farmers, and all that sort of stuff?..
    Hope it gets sorted for you!!..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was going to say go to your principal, but if they're married - wow, awkward!

Still, go though. This is your leaving cert - you will be the one to lose marks for this, not her. I don't mean to worry you, but it is worth a lot of marks (I can't remember exactly, something like 25% wasn't it?).

Maybe, try getting a "grind" with another teacher in geography (specifically help with the project), or just asking another geography teacher in the school, or something!

I was going to say go to your principal, but if they're married - wow, awkward!

Still, go though. This is your leaving cert - you will be the one to lose marks for this, not her. I don't mean to worry you, but it is worth a lot of marks (I can't remember exactly, something like 25% wasn't it?).

Maybe, try getting a "grind" with another teacher in geography (specifically help with the project), or just asking another geography teacher in the school, or something!

I mentioned it to the principal but he said, "She has worked here for 30 years, she knows what she is doing." So that was a fail.

I really, really am screwed over by her in geography. I was getting A's up untill i got her, now i only scrape C's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If everyone from your centre submits a wildly 'wrong' project, the SEC will investigate, as the examiner will have to report it.
    How did her previous classes get on?

spurious wrote: »
    If everyone from your centre submits a wildly 'wrong' project, the SEC will investigate, as the examiner will have to report it.
    How did her previous classes get on?

Oh, wow, really? That would be fan-bloody-tastic!
    Well, other people who have had her always complain about her. I mean she is not a bitch or anything but she just thinks because she has been a teacher for 30 years that she is automatically good. I could write stories for 30 years... but might not write a bestseller. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Personally...If I were you...Id try to find another geography teacher in your school who could help you redo your project before the due date.

Also I would ring the department of education/SEC because this woman should not be teaching if the stories you say are true.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Personally...If I were you...Id try to find another geography teacher in your school who could help you redo your project before the due date.

Also I would ring the department of education/SEC because this woman should not be teaching if the stories you say are true.

The only other teacher in our school who teaches geography is an Irish/geography teacher. Just like the teacher I have been talking about. And before our Irish orals, the other geography teacher offered us help with the oral preperation and our geography teacher was not happy.

So, I dont think this is an option.

And also, No matter what stories I come out of the class room, no teacher/Principal or whatever will ever beleive me due to the fact its the principals wife, so he will just defened her to the ground.

It is a tough situation but at the end of the day. As stated above, maybe we should just give in the project and hope the examiner notices something very very wrong :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is a tough situation but at the end of the day. As stated above, maybe we should just give in the project and hope the examiner notices something very very wrong :P

All the correctors/examiners of every subject have to write a report when they are finished, reporting back to their advising examiners on things like what questions were answered well/badly/least often/most often. If all the candidates in one centre have investigations which do not address any of the prescribed topics, then it will be noticed and reported on. It is these reports which go to make up the Chief Examiner's report for a subject.

If she has previously had OK marks in her classes, perhaps she does know what she is doing. I do not teach LC Geog., so I'm afraid I can't comment on what she is getting you to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement