Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in England and wanting to come home

Options
  • 13-04-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering what the story is with the following:
    I'm currently doing my PGCE in England- I'll be finished this in June. That means that next year I'll have to do my NQT year before becoming a completely qualified teacher. I want to come home to teach (lack of jobs will obviously be a problem!)

Will I have to do my NQT year in England before being a completely qualified teacher at home or would I be able to do what hDips do which is getting so many hours of teaching experience?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

For full recognition, you need to complete your PQE (post qualification employment) which is 300 hours, to satisfy the Teaching Council. From 2011 onwards, that PQE has to be done in the country in which you studied your PGCE, so if you study in the UK, you must do your PQE in the UK.

Then when you are registered in that country, you can seek full recognition in Ireland.

However, i'm not 100% sure if it includes people finishing teacher training in 2011, or if it is aimed at anyone starting training this year. Perhaps e-mail the teaching council for a definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Your one of the lucky ones, its people who start their PGCE this September that must do the NQT in England. Make sure to keep all your info on the course, all folders etc and evidence that your course was aimed at 11-18 year olds. I was in contact with the teaching council, they were one grumpy shower but nevertheless got the info out of them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Brilliant, thanks for your help lads. I've heard all about the Teaching Council being a pain in the hole. Glad to hear some good news about the situation :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anniejay

Under the new Teaching Council of Ireland Regulations all newly qualified teachers must complete a period of induction. This means attending 12 two hour sessions at a local Education Centre. This is called the NITP programme and runs throughout the year on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights. Once you have completed your 300 hours teaching and attended your 12 sessions you are eligible for full registration (QTS) in Ireland which means you are also eligible for QTS in the UK once the Teaching Council has signed you off.
    Unfortunately if you are teaching in the UK to get your 300 hours(as most of us are - there being NO jobs at home - is anyone on the Teaching Council aware of that???) you can't make any of the 12 sessions. I asked the Teaching Council about this and they said they are "aware" of this and "had a few phone calls" and "maybe" will look at the option of making the 12 sessions available online "in the future"!!!!! When pressed on this they were so vague it was a waste of time talking to them.
    So, if any of you out there want to avoid doing an NQT year in the UK (like having to do the Dip all over again and which is recognised by the Teaching Council for Registration in Ireland - and would prefer to be treated on the same basis as those lucky enough to get a job at home- WOULD YOU CONTACT THE TEACHING COUNCIL AND ASK FOR A SUMMER COURSE FOR IRISH TEACHERS IN THE UK!!!
    COMPLAIN!!!
    BOMBARD THEM!!
    THIS IS NOT FAIR! Tel: Teaching Council of Irealnd: LoCall 1890 224 224 or +353 (0)1 651 7908
    Email: postprimaryregistration@teachingcouncil.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

I did my PGCE in the UK in 2010 and was asked for my UK NQT completion letter before being allowed to register here. You will also have the structure and history test here too before you get a teaching council number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement