Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have problems spreading granlime with a quad Spreader?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Tried spreading gran lime recently with a new quad spreader i bought!
    Complete disaster, there was alot of dust in the bags and some large lumps Qualit of the gran lime wasnt great but i still thought the spreader would spread it, just kept getting blocked up, had to empty the spreader.

Anyone any ideas..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sorry, I can't help you. But could you tell us the make and model spreader please? Had the same idea for the future (where all my ideas live :pac: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

ive been spreading 11ton of acheson glover granlime the past few days with a lely centreliner-thanks god for sleives or it would easily bung up-plenty of dust and it doesnt overlap as well as normal fert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I know someone who spread normal lime with a spreader by clamping a small vice grip onto the spinner on the inside of the spreader he said it worked perfect once he put the vice grip on.
    worth a try

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Great idea there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Simple ideas are often the best and most overlooked! Reminds me of the story, Americans spent $20 million developing a pen that would write in zero gravity during the space race.

Russians used pencils :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

the stuff should be banned (and its rubbish at actually doing what its supposed to do)

Go bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

djmc wrote: »
    I know someone who spread normal lime with a spreader by clamping a small vice grip onto the spinner on the inside of the spreader he said it worked perfect once he put the vice grip on.
    worth a try

And I suppose it did no harm to the spreader:rolleyes:

I wouldn't think it'd be a good job. Ordinary lime would be way heavier (greater density) than ordinary fertiliser. Sure it's like sand. Then your talking about putting a makeshift larger agitator in bottom of spreader...... there'd be some queer pressure on the rotating shaft, gearbox etc.... and that's just on the spreader.

If it could be done that easy wouldn't you think the manufacturers would have thought of it??

You can get an off the shelf agitator extension arm alright, but it's to help when broadcasting GRASS SEED.

Big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tipp Man wrote: »
    the stuff should be banned (and its rubbish at actually doing what its supposed to do)

Why?

I find it great. Very handy for small reseeds. It can be spread when it suits you rather than waiting for a contractor. At €7 per 50kg, its quite cost effective. Horses for courses would be the best way of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Muckit wrote: »
    And I suppose it did no harm to the spreader:rolleyes:

I wouldn't think it'd be a good job. Ordinary lime would be way heavier (greater density) than ordinary fertiliser. Sure it's like sand. Then your talking about putting a makeshift larger agitator in bottom of spreader...... there'd be some queer pressure on the rotating shaft, gearbox etc.... and that's just on the spreader.

If it could be done that easy wouldn't you think the manufacturers would have thought of it??

You can get an off the shelf agitator extension arm alright, but it's to help when broadcasting GRASS SEED.

Big difference

No it didnt do any harm to the spreader and it was a small enough spreader and a 165 mf tractor
    Maybe I should patent the idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

reilig wrote: »
    Why?

I find it great. Very handy for small reseeds. It can be spread when it suits you rather than waiting for a contractor. At €7 per 50kg, its quite cost effective. Horses for courses would be the best way of putting it.

The uptake from bulk lime is far far greater than granlime

It works out way more expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement