Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad mart prices

Options
  • 13-04-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

From todays Independant.-
    "The trade for all cattle, but particularly the stores and weanlings, is actually improving on the already very strong prices. Up to €2.67/kg was paid for nine store bullocks at Roscommon Mart this week, with nine 540kg Charolais stores selling for €1,440 each."
    Are they mad in the head or what. Have to lose money after paying that money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We have found it next to impossible to buy the cattle this spring

Crazy money being paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Jack C wrote: »
    From todays Independant.-
    "The trade for all cattle, but particularly the stores and weanlings, is actually improving on the already very strong prices. Up to €2.67/kg was paid for nine store bullocks at Roscommon Mart this week, with nine 540kg Charolais stores selling for €1,440 each."
    Are they mad in the head or what. Have to lose money after paying that money.
    long may it last first year i know i made money with my yearlings factorys will have to respond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

caseman wrote: »
    factorys will have to respond

they dont have to, simple as, they work on a supply and demand basis in an over supplied market. It doesn't take a masters in economics to understand what the outcome will be with the above conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

they dont have to, simple as, they work on a supply and demand basis in an over supplied market. It doesn't take a masters in economics to understand what the outcome will be with the above conditions

i dont think so. the problem is the processers are acting as a cartel and this the fundamental prob with the beef industry.this year is the proof of it and thatb is why i never bother with dry stock because i never do biz with anyone i dont trust.prices never reflect the market they are just manipulated to suit themselves

keep going wrote: »
    i dont think so. the problem is the processers are acting as a cartel and this the fundamental prob with the beef industry.this year is the proof of it and thatb is why i never bother with dry stock because i never do biz with anyone i dont trust.prices never reflect the market they are just manipulated to suit themselves

Your talking crap about a cartel. Wait and see, when the demand really squeezes in a short while prices will rise fast as a result of market forces. If what you say above is the case then prices would never rise fast. I know its fairly dishearting to hear this but its the case. Im saying the above wearing my beef finisher cap and jacket. not pleasing to hear. A quick rise happened over Xmas and a few lucky punters got the little bit of cream, I remember reading on here posters not accepting €3.50kilo for animals:rolleyes:. Remember how fast or most prolific global ingredients company exited beef processing business a relatively short while ago due to the miniscule returns

• Advertisement

but prices rose every where else long ago.prices never reflect the world market even though 90% of our beef is exported they always reflect cattle supply in ireland. examples price goes down in autumn because grass cattle are plentifull or in the spring when the houses need emptying but world prices stay the same.your not a factory agent by any chance?;)

keep going wrote: »
    but prices rose every where else long ago.prices never reflect the world market even though 90% of our beef is exported they always reflect cattle supply in ireland. examples price goes down in autumn because grass cattle are plentifull or in the spring when the houses need emptying but world prices stay the same.your not a factory agent by any chance?;)

Stop insulting me now, im just a beef boy. Your only looking at one side of the market ie the demand, now think about the supply side of things and there is an over supply of animals in Autumn and again currently there is an oversupply of animals for the last few months (feed,credit) mainly the cause. Supply will not be able to keep up with the current demand much longer. so we might see a little rise:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Stop insulting me now, im just a beef boy. Your only looking at one side of the market ie the demand, now think about the supply side of things and there is an over supply of animals in Autumn and again currently there is an oversupply of animals for the last few months (feed,credit) mainly the cause. Supply will not be able to keep up with the current demand much longer. so we might see a little rise:)

The biggest problem with thef actories is that they will try to control the supply on order to keep the prices artifically low. In factories that slaughter both sheep and cattle, they will send home workers in order to let supplies build up. They will only accept cattle or sheep on certain days - so that they make sure that they have a full day's work that day and don't have to pay extra € per kg to ensure that enough cattle or sheep are coming in.

IMO demand for the meat from the factories has minimal impact on the price per kg that the factories pay to farmers. The factories will try to pay as little as possible to the farmer by pulling every fast one in the book.

reilig wrote: »
    The biggest problem with thef actories is that they will try to control the supply on order to keep the prices artifically low. In factories that slaughter both sheep and cattle, they will send home workers in order to let supplies build up. They will only accept cattle or sheep on certain days - so that they make sure that they have a full day's work that day and don't have to pay extra € per kg to ensure that enough cattle or sheep are coming in.

IMO demand for the meat from the factories has minimal impact on the price per kg that the factories pay to farmers. The factories will try to pay as little as possible to the farmer by pulling every fast one in the book.

yip your right and they are a bunch over very astute business men, but the accusation was that they are operating a cartel, something I very very much doubt. If you owned a factory I bet you would like to run it at is maximum each and every day it was open. No point working a day when you only have an output of 60%, best to run it as 90% for fewer days, resulting in major staff savings. They are also crap sellers of our fresh meat with there stack them high sell them cheap policy in Uk and further afield

only joking ya but i still think they operate together maybe not ringing each orther every orther day but they talk- why is it there is hardly ever a factory out of line when they move why is there no stand out performer.but each to their own opinion. prices are rising fact but the clever question is when are they going to fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Im out of the beef industry a good few years now, but to suggest that there is not a cartel operating in this country is naive to say the least. 80% of the kill is carried out by 2 families. How can you possibly suggest that they are not in daily contact? Anyone who attempts to rock the boat ( eg in the North West) is quickly put in their place by the big boys. No slight on them, but your average small farmer has no chance against the processors.

Advertisement