Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout in Royal Canal

Options
  • 13-04-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was just wandering if trout have been stocked in the Royal Canal. I was fishing up at Ashtown in Finglas last Friday and caught a brown trout. I got this on worms and a couple of bright beads beside the hook. I have an image but can't upload it, its asking fora URL address.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're using the 'insert an image' button, the image must have already been uploaded to somewhere on the web and that's the URL you put in. If you want you can attach the image to your post as a file attachment using the paperclip icon.

edit: haven't heard of them being stocked in any canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 noeld5

Thanks a lot. There's the pic there. I was under the impression that these were a fresh water river fish, I'll be back up there this weekend and see if I can catch him or one of his mates.!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Is the Royal canal not freshwater ? you would be surprised at the places you will find trout, from tiny streams not much more than drainage ditches to ponds in the middle of nowhere...you just wont get them in great numbers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Could have been one taken from the Tolka and put in the canal or something. Generally though, wouldnt be a fish you would find in the canal

It is freshwater alrite but was shocked to catch it in the canal..
    Yea it must have made its way in somehow, i'll be at the same location this week and sure lets use know if there's any more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There was a few stocked by accident years ago during an official stocking, the grand Canal had a few aswel but have'nt seen them in years

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

uch wrote: »
    There was a few stocked by accident years ago during an official stocking, the grand Canal had a few aswel but have'nt seen them in years

There is a little creek merging canal next to golf course (not sure about name - next to kill in kildare) Friend got some trouts there (Biggest around 40 cm in size) i see no reason that wouldn't be often case.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Not trying to sound like a spoil sport and congrats on the trout but you dont need to have it lying on the gravel it will do the fish serious harm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Maybe he didnt release it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thats what I thought too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

I would have released it as a trout in the canal is a very rare thing .... getting rarer now it seems

Ah I only had it on the ground to take a pic with the little man, he's just cut out of the pic.!! And I did release it back in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I don't know why but for some reason I always thought Trout Needed running water not stagnant like a canal?

Any way its a unusual catch there

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I don't know why but for some reason I always thought Trout Needed running water not stagnant like a canal?

Any way its a unusual catch there

A canal is no more stagnant than a lake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

nope they don't it is also possibly a stocked browny, which isnt very different to a rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Hi All
    I'm living in Rathangan but from Tipperary were i do alot of Trout fishing I started doing Coarse fishing two days ago and landed 12 Roaches I still like to do my Trout fishing and was told that there's only one River that runs through Rathangan the River Slate do anyone know any spots on this river some where local to Rathangan village that have Trout and what be the best tackle to use on the the River Slate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eirefishing

This is an Illegal fish trap I found on the Royal Canal, Lucan, Co. Dublin.
    This is a well made trap it is even finished with a high quality lacquer coat. Someone somewhere is making money from depleting our fish stocks of Pike, Perch, Roach, Rudd, Hybrids, Tench, Carp and whatever else they can get their hands on, "even the ducks are gone missing"!
    http://youtu.be/n4-68bdRcLo

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

I caught a trout while spinning for perch in the Lecarrow canal that connects to lough ree while on holidays last year... couldnt believe it... he must have swam up all the way from the lake...about 3 miles

Advertisement