Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello everyone

Options
  • 13-04-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm new to this board, posting from England, but hoping to visit Roscommon this year - some of my family originate from there.

We originated in the Carrick on Shannon area - though I guess you all get fed up with people like me barging in, just because we had a great-grandfather from Ireland or whatever, but it means a lot to some of us, the ones who went overseas!

Anyway, delighted to have found this forum and look forward to posting.

I'd love to know what Katie Lavin's pub is like in Boyle - this is one of of our family names! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi there, welcome to boards and Roscommon forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Welcome to the Roscommon forum where the biggest thread, is the whats the "most boring town in Roscommon" thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

carrick on shannon ....... should this not realy be in the leitrim forum

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I'm new to this board, posting from England, but hoping to visit Roscommon this year - some of my family originate from there.

We originated in the Carrick on Shannon area - though I guess you all get fed up with people like me barging in, just because we had a great-grandfather from Ireland or whatever, but it means a lot to some of us, the ones who went overseas!

Anyway, delighted to have found this forum and look forward to posting.

I'd love to know what Katie Lavin's pub is like in Boyle - this is one of of our family names! :)

In a previous existence, I used to work in that area and Lavin's was a popular haunt of mine. It was owned at the time by Frankie Feighan who has since become a TD. One of the outstanding memories of the pub was the range which was always lit in the winter months. Haven't been in it in years. Presume you came from the Roscommon side of Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thadiisgirl

Thanks for the comment about Lavins in Boyle, it looks a great place for a pint - I've promised myself a trip over from the UK later in 2011.

Yes indeed, my family are from the Roscommon, not the Leitrim side of Carrick, further research pending. That is to say, I haven't come across anyone - yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you make it to Roscommon Town the Galway Hooker Brewery is in that area.
    www.galwayhooker.ie

Advertisement