Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Tanzanian Shillings in Ireland

Options
  • 13-04-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

Hey. I visited Tanzania a few years ago and whilst clearing a room out today found 5 hundred thousand Tanzanian Shillings which I forgotten about and would now like to convert into Euros. Will any Bureau de Change or bank facilitate this or do they only exchange certain currencies?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hey. I visited Tanzania a few years ago and whilst clearing a room out today found 5 hundred thousand Tanzanian Shillings which I forgotten about and would now like to convert into Euros. Will any Bureau de Change or bank facilitate this or do they only exchange certain currencies?

Thanks in advance

Some of the bigger Banks might take, A lot of charities might take it off your hands, if you are feeling generous, it's worth about €225

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of the bigger Banks might take, A lot of charities might take it off your hands, if you are feeling generous, it's worth about €225

Cheers. Yeah, after looking around online it seems that nowhere outside of East Africa exchanges the currency because it's considered 'soft'. I guess it's not realistically worth anything then!

Do you have any info on what charities would accept it? There's no point in hanging on to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Cheers. Yeah, after looking around online it seems that nowhere outside of East Africa exchanges the currency because it's considered 'soft'. I guess it's not realistically worth anything then!

Do you have any info on what charities would accept it? There's no point in hanging on to it

The SteoL foundation is a good one. I can PM you the paypal details if you wish ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

any of the major 3rd world relief agencies would gladly accept it, just drop them an email or even drop into any of their shops.

Red Cross would also accept the cash, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's an awful lot of money to bring home in local currency from a third world country :eek:

You probably could have had a fair old blast on your last couple of night, did you not realise at the time how much cash you had on you coming home?

I'd say you wouldn't have much trouble exchanging the cash in London next time you're over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

SteoL wrote: »
    The SteoL foundation is a good one. I can PM you the paypal details if you wish ;) :P

Does he login to PayPal and then stuff the notes into into the floppy disk slot on his PC or what have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Thanks in advance

No bank takes fx coin. As others have said donate them to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

coylemj wrote: »
    Does he login to PayPal and then stuff the notes into into the floppy disk slot on his PC or what have you in mind?

Ehm.....post was made in jest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

What pc has a floppy disc slot these days!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's an awful lot of money to bring home in local currency from a third world country :eek:

You probably could have had a fair old blast on your last couple of night, did you not realise at the time how much cash you had on you coming home?

I did, but my sister was living there at the time and I had intended to go back at some stage. It was foolish of me not to exchange it before I left in any case.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I'll probably to donate it to MSF :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement