Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - making a claim?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello All,

Last night we discovered a leak in our roof which we only noticed as it started raining heavily. My husband was able to do a temporary repair job and thankfully we noticed it quicky and there isn't any damage done.

My husband thinks that it is due to the "lead flashing" on the roof needing a repair.

Would this be covered under an insurance policy? I do not want to call them yet in case i phrase it incorrectly.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Call your insurance Company / Broker or see your Insurance Policy to see what your covered under. Dont say to the insurance company that you want to make a claim just an inquiry to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Hi, the general rule, if the roof was damaged by some outside factor then the repair to the roof and damage caused by the leak will be covered. However if the damage to the roof is caused by wear and tear, then the repair to the roof we will not be covered however the damage caused by the leak will.

One complication is that a number of Insurers have specific exclusions in their policies with regard to flat roofs covered by felt and will not cover any damage arising from a leak. You will need to check you policy and also investigate whether the damage to the roof is down to wear and tear or is a result of damage.

good luck.

Advertisement