Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT charges on imported sticks

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere already.

Just got a call from UPS saying that there will be a 51 euro VAT charge on a Hori V3 I ordered from play-asia for 105 euro ex. shipping. The amount seems kind of ridiculous. Is it correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

From Citizens info

From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a Guide to the reliefs available for the import from non-EC countries.

If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Sagat06 wrote: »
    From Citizens info

From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a Guide to the reliefs available for the import from non-EC countries.

If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.
    I'm not disputing that I have to pay VAT. My problem was with the amount.

Total including shipping came to just over €160. UPS guy just mentioned VAT, not Customs Duty. I guess I'll just have to see what's being charged for when the delivery guy gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah it looks like he didnt declare the value of the goods and you got chaged for the total shipment

Advertisement