Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the spoiler rule on weekly TV shows?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 7:02am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, what's the ruling on spoiler warnings for the weekly shows (RAW, SD!, iMPACT)?

Because I never catch RAW (or any wrestling show) live, and boards is generally spoiler-free (unless you choose to enter the spoiler thread) -- except this week, tuesday morning, there were immediately two new threads called :

*RAW SPOILER* Edges Future and Future retirements in the WWE.

Immediately I got the big spoiler of exactly what happened on RAW :(. Surely these conversations could stay in the RAW threads until everyone's had a chance to watch? Or is it a case of it's a free-for-all for TV shows and I should just avoid boards for a day or two until after I've seen the show?

I've decided to post this as a new thread so everybody sees and is on the level, as opposed to posting it in the off-topic thread where few would see. Also the charter post is locked.

Anyway cheers.

Jay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

At the end of the day Edge retiring is a big deal, and just because you havent seen Raw, doesnst mean its not deserving of its own thread.. In my opinion people who complain about spoilers just dont read the fu*king thread, and watch Raw..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

walter i do see where Jay is coming from - with those 2 threads appearing tuesday morning it really was obvious what happened without even going near the raw thread.

I think it is just an odd occurance that can happen - normally its handier if the thread title can be changed (like BH originally naming the rock thread "the WM host thread")

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey guys, what's the ruling on spoiler warnings for the weekly shows (RAW, SD!, iMPACT)?

Because I never catch RAW (or any wrestling show) live, and boards is generally spoiler-free (unless you choose to enter the spoiler thread) -- except this week, tuesday morning, there were immediately two new threads called :

*RAW SPOILER* Edges Future and Future retirements in the WWE.

Immediately I got the big spoiler of exactly what happened on RAW :(. Surely these conversations could stay in the RAW threads until everyone's had a chance to watch? Or is it a case of it's a free-for-all for TV shows and I should just avoid boards for a day or two until after I've seen the show?

I've decided to post this as a new thread so everybody sees and is on the level, as opposed to posting it in the off-topic thread where few would see. Also the charter post is locked.

Anyway cheers.

Jay

Generally all talk of a show / ppv has to be spoilers for atleast a few days after it airs. The problem crops up when new threads are started in response to something that happens on a show or ppv as happened this week. Once a thread about a retirement or a superstars future is started the mere existence of the thread / thread title can potentially act as a spoiler.

It's near impossible to ensure that people don't make threads inspired by what they have just seen though and doing so does not warrant a ban.

People also need to be carefull and try and avoid putting spoilerific info in the opening lines of ops as they can be seen by accident when the pointer is placed on the thread title. Also remember to put *spoilers* in that thread title if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I admit I could have phrased the Edge thread better and apologise for the oversight, but I do not think it was much of a spoiler tbh, given the fact that on the opening of Raw there was a blurb saying something about "Edge retirement speech".

With regard to TV shows I think 48hrs after it first airs is fair enough for it to be spoken freely of. For PPVs it is until Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

walter i do see where Jay is coming from - with those 2 threads appearing tuesday morning it really was obvious what happened without even going near the raw thread.

I think it is just an odd occurance that can happen - normally its handier if the thread title can be changed (like BH originally naming the rock thread "the WM host thread")

I know what you mean, but what grids my gears is this isnt a spoiler, its not a work or angle, its not like Edge lost the World Title in a match on Raw.. HES RETIRING.. How does that affect peoples overall enjoyment of watching the show?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I know what you mean, but what grids my gears is this isnt a spoiler, its not a work or angle, its not like Edge lost the World Title in a match on Raw.. HES RETIRING.. How does that affect peoples overall enjoyment of watching the show?????

I agree not exactly a plot spoiler is it? Did people put *Raw Spoiler* on the thread about Benoit or Eddy dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I agree with both points in a way, if I decided to click into this forum yesterday before I went home and watched Raw I certainly would have put the pieces together once I saw the "Edge Announcement" bit on Raw and figured out what happened, which would've ruined the shock when Edge actually did announce his retirement (I was genuinely expecting him to come out and quash the retirement rumours).

But at the same time, if you don't want to risk spoilers why you would go near a wrestling forum in the first place?? Ever since I had Miz's MITB cash in spoiled by just seeing a "New WWE Champion!" thread the morning after Raw (wasn't on here), I've avoided all sites even vaguely associated with wrestling until I'm up to speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I agree with both points in a way, if I decided to click into this forum yesterday before I went home and watched Raw I certainly would have put the pieces together once I saw the "Edge Announcement" bit on Raw and figured out what happened, which would've ruined the shock when Edge actually did announce his retirement (I was genuinely expecting him to come out and quash the retirement rumours).

But at the same time, if you don't want to risk spoilers why you would go near a wrestling forum in the first place?? Ever since I had Miz's MITB cash in spoiled by just seeing a "New WWE Champion!" thread the morning after Raw (wasn't on here), I've avoided all sites even vaguely associated with wrestling until I'm up to speed.

I'll agree here. If you don't want spoilers, avoid places where they may be posted. I agree its horrible when people post topics that can spoil things and I hate people who do it, but at the same time, when you come to a wrestling forum, its a risk you run.

What annoys me is I went to a general board on another site yesterday morning to find a topic called...

"OMG My favorite wrestler has just retired. Spoilers. It's Edge BTW"

Really annoyed me >_<

EDIT:
    drayme wrote: »
    I agree not exactly a plot spoiler is it? Did people put *Raw Spoiler* on the thread about Benoit or Eddy dying?

Its possible that the difference lies in the fact that while it's not a direct plot spoiler, it is about an event which happened on a show, and it will have major effects on Smackdown in plot specific ways....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Its possible that the difference lies in the fact that while it's not a direct plot spoiler, it is about an event which happened on a show, and it will have major effects on Smackdown in plot specific ways....

I can see that school of thinking. But I think the news supersedes a TV show spoiler.

Personally there are all sorts of spoiler rules all over the internet but I dont trust people abide by them 100% so I stay from the internet when I really want to see something unspoiled.

DTA as Austin would say. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

drayme wrote: »

They didnt die on the show though, so it's not a spoiler. It's news.

Edge was announcing his retirement on the show, which is news, but also a spoiler.

I think it's a bit unfair to just say "Don't visit a wrestling forum until you're up to speed then". If I didn't want to be spoiled I would have figured it out as I'm subbed to this forum, so thread titles show up when I'm just on Boards in general. Like jaykhunter said, when Miz won the title on Raw and there was a new thread called New WWE Champion, that would have showed up in people's subbed forums thread list, and as Miz had the MITB briefcase, it would have been fairly obvious what happened.

I don't see why the Edge Retirement stuff couldn't have been kept in the Raw thread, then moved to a new thread once the 2 day rule gimmick mentioned was up.

I mean, I think even in the "Year of the pushes" thread started about how WWE will have to push more guys now, it mentions in the OP that Edge retired, even though the thread title only says "potential spoilers". That is a definite spoiler I'm afraid.

Perhaps if something major happens on Raw that would suit a new thread, perhaps a "Raw Aftermath Thread" could be made. At least the only thing being spoiled is that something big happens with no specifics. Same way as if WWE just tweeted "Big announcement tonight" or somethin like that. Rather than "Raw Spoilers: Edges Future" which is pretty self explanatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont get annoyed by spoilers in the slightest, I usually read them before watching the show tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

what about the tough enough thread have been using the spoiler thing on that for people reading it but it's hard to know exactly when it's no longer a spoiler as the show isn't on tv?

Right, as I have said, this was a poor title choice on my behalf, compunded by someone else making a different thread. This is not a regular occurence. I have apologised already on this.

TBH, I would be surprised if anyone who uses facebook or twitter did not see this news yesterday. But that is another issue altogether.

I will wait for Jay to make his comments and then the thread, and the matter, will be closed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

the mere existence of the thread / thread title can potentially act as a spoiler.
    gimmick wrote: »
    With regard to TV shows I think 48hrs after it first airs is fair enough for it to be spoken freely of. For PPVs it is until Wednesday.
    Barrington wrote: »
    I don't see why the Edge Retirement stuff couldn't have been kept in the Raw thread, then moved to a new thread once the 2 day rule gimmick mentioned was up, or perhaps a "Raw Aftermath Thread" could be made.

Thanks for replying so quickly. Thanks Gar for apologising, it means a lot. It's alright, separately the threads technically aren't spoilers but as BH said, together and due to the timing u can deduce stuff very quickly!

With me, being a smark, means still being a being mark tongue.gif I can see where everyone else is coming from. I imagine that for every big announcement (Edge retiring is bigger than a world title change) there'll be an immediate spin-off thread so I don't know if this problem will ever get solved, besides just not even going on the net before you've seen (which is a huge problem for me, because my situation precludes me from watching wrestling 'live'.).

Anyway by the posts above the official rule/thinking going ahead is that every discussion topic stemming from a TV show should be kept in that TV show thread until two days afterwards.
    So we'd openly talk about :
    WWE PPVs on Wednesday
    RAW on Wednesday
    SmackDown on Sunday
    iMPACT!....thursday the week after it's US airing?

Hopefully we can keep to that anyway. I also wanna say that if you guys think the status quo should be spoilers are ok, or spoiler threads, that's alright, I'll deal with it. :)

And thats the end of that thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement