Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

de horning cattle - no anesthetic

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

i know of a farmer who de horned cattle (sawed them off) without anesthetic

i thought it was a brutal thing to do in this day and age....i wouldnt approve of it.

Any thoughts, is the practice widespread, or is just the odd cowboy who does it ?

I'm sure its traumatic on the beast.

How much is anesthetic ? Can any farmer buy it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

Yeah, I know a couple in my area still at it. No excuse really as both could do them as calves when it's so much easier on man and beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i think it is totally barbaric.... for the sake of a few bob getting the vet with anaesthetic- we are skulling 5 today , vet is doing them... dehorner was broke for a while when they where calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

whelan1 wrote: »
    i think it is totally barbaric.... for the sake of a few bob getting the vet with anaesthetic- we are skulling 5 today , vet is doing them... dehorner was broke for a while when they where calves

Do only VETs have anaesthetic (I spelled anaesthetic wrong in my original post !)

Can anyone buy anaesthetic ? How much does it cost per beast ?
    The farmer in question is completely au fait with how to inject a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

MungoMan wrote: »
    Do only VETs have anaesthetic (I spelled anaesthetic wrong in my original post !)

Can anyone buy anaesthetic ? How much does it cost per beast ?
    The farmer in question is completely au fait with how to inject a beast.

Anyone can buy it. I get it from my local vet for dehorning the baby calves. see attached pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Anyone can buy it. I get it from my local vet for dehorning the baby calves. see attached pic

the bother of it as well......as in dehorning without anesthetic. We do them all as calves and use it here as well when burning off. Its actually easier to do them this way as well, less fighting and jumping around the crate! WE havent had to dehorn older ones in years, but we did use anesthetic and the wire for them i recall.

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »

Thanks Robin
    a quick check on the internet tells me its aroud 5 euro for 100ml

How many millilitres would you need per beast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

For calves its around 5ml each side of the head but don't know how much for bigger cattle as we always dehorn at around 4 week old calves!

looking at the vet doing them today , he was giving between 8 and 12 ml per side

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

In college they where saying, legally you have to give the calf anastetic if they are over 2 weeks old. We where giving them 2cc per side. And we where told its costs around 7 euro a bottle. The name escapes me at this point though.....

is it norocaine ? i was holding the bottle in my hand this morning and cant remember

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

is it norocaine ? i was holding the bottle in my hand this morning and cant remember
    mrs whelan will you come down 2moro and give my vet a hand ,i have 2 blonde heifers with big horns[i bought them with them on ] cant stand the job its years since had to do big horns.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leg wax wrote: »
    mrs whelan will you come down 2moro and give my vet a hand ,i have 2 blonde heifers with big horns[i bought them with them on ] cant stand the job its years since had to do big horns.:mad:

i had a 2 yr old bullock a few years back that was a lunatic, he had 1 huge horn, he was in the skulling gate and had gotten a sedative also, he still went berserk, thought he would take gate off, vet pretty much refused to do him..had to get another vet who had an immobilizer..now i know these things are banned and im not saying they should be used now but the animal would have either killed himself or killed someone else, this way it was over in under a min id say and the beast walked out of crush after not a bother. the first vet reckoned his heart would have given out if we continued by the way, thats how crazy he went when caught in the gate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Yep "Norocaine" 100ml €5.50 in my local chemist but i think they saying now that you have to go to the vet for it!! Can get it in the North over the counter anyway or farmrite may even send it to you at similar money.

Says 7ml per site but i give it acoording to the size of animal ie ig 700kg cow 12-14mls and spread it about i.e withdraw a little and release and again. Always pull back on the needle to ensure you are not in a vein. 28day withdrawal for meat 28days, milk 7days.

is the pay good?

is the pay good?
    its all about the company not the price;)

its all about the company not the price;)
    :)

Bodacious wrote: »
    Yep "Norocaine" 100ml €5.50 in my local chemist but i think they saying now that you have to go to the vet for it!! Can get it in the North over the counter anyway or farmrite may even send it to you at similar money.

Says 7ml per site but i give it acoording to the size of animal ie ig 700kg cow 12-14mls and spread it about i.e withdraw a little and release and again. Always pull back on the needle to ensure you are not in a vein. 28day withdrawal for meat 28days, milk 7days.

Has anyone managed to buy it in a pharmacy in the south ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

MungoMan wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to buy it in a pharmacy in the south ?

You can buy Adrenacaine from your Vet. I've used it and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Norocaine, Norbrook, is Vet use only and cannot be sold to anyone other than vets.

Adrenacaine (procaine), Norbrook, 100ml bottle available from your vet.

We have to specially import the Adrenacaine from the North under licence so I am not sure if it would be available under prescription from a chemist.

5ml per horn for debudding. Not sure about bigger as I use the Norocaine.

I hate dehorning as it eats time but I will do it all the same.

Horrible setup tomorrow to dehorn :(

robbed the leaflet out of the box that was in the bin from vet today... 7ml max injection per site , be careful not to inject in to the vein, norocaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is all this injecting of young calves really necessary or beneficial (under2wks)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Muckit wrote: »
    Is all this injecting of young calves really necessary or beneficial (under2wks)??

Under two weeks is debatable, its like getting aesthetic yourself for a few stitches, I had to get 3 stitches after cutting my knuckles when a wrench slipped and she gave me 3 or 4 japs of aesthetic, which I reckon would be the same as a stitch.

Under two weeks is debatable, its like getting aesthetic yourself for a few stitches, I had to get 3 stitches after cutting my knuckles when a wrench slipped and she gave me 3 or 4 japs of aesthetic, which I reckon would be the same as a stitch.
    i got 3 stitches in my arm with no anaesthetic :eek:caught my arm between bar of crush and a cow

just if from doing my 2 heifers vet did them gave them something to make them sleepy as well they were like easy to do then,how the fock i am going to get the cable ties off them tommorow i dont know.no blood no pain now so happy with the job.

we did nt use any cable ties yesterday.... only ever used them if there was a bleeder, we are prone to getting bleeders here , touch wood we had none yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Our vet will pull the veins to stop the bleeding. Thankfully we haven't had to scull one in a few years. Usually get all calves at under 2 weeks with the gas dehorner.

leg wax - its better to use baler twine than cable ties - at least you can cut it with a knife easily when the animal has his head down eating a bit of meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

reilig wrote: »
    leg wax - its better to use baler twine than cable ties - at least you can cut it with a knife easily when the animal has his head down eating a bit of meal

On the odd one we do, we use big elastic bands, works very well. Snip off with a scissors next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Jack C wrote: »
    Yeah, I know a couple in my area still at it. No excuse really as both could do them as calves when it's so much easier on man and beast.

always found skulling much quicker and easier , dehorning is a very slow job and the crate used is a near death trap for some calves , they are tightly trapped , guy that skulls our cattle uses an electrical gizmo which freezes the calves brain so the animal is temporarily stunned while being skulled

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

irishh_bob wrote: »
    always found skulling much quicker and easier , dehorning is a very slow job and the crate used is a near death trap for some calves , they are tightly trapped , guy that skulls our cattle uses an electrical gizmo which freezes the calves brain so the animal is temporarily stunned while being skulled

Immobiliser, that stuns them, is banned. No pain relief with stunner unless anaesthetic used also. All it does is prevent them moving.. brutal. Debudding crates usually safe if calves not left alone.

I pull the vessels to stop bleeding, top them off with gas debudder if seeping and sedate most cattle for dehorning, makes job simple for me then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

irishh_bob wrote: »
    Your own brain must have got a touch of that "gizmo" if you think skulling without anesthetic is easier.

Advertisement