Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Casuals

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hey lads I was just wondering how many of you would be up for casuals, say twice a month or whatever.... I recently ran into a cheap ass venue so it seems like a good opportunity to make something of it. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Brilliant. When you thinking of running them, weekdays or weekends? Just curious either way i'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

mackg wrote: »
    Brilliant. When you thinking of running them, weekdays or weekends? Just curious either way i'm in.

Excellent!
    Well whatever days people would find suitable really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

If this place does indeed pan out casuals would be fantastic. I've been wanting to run more of them at my house and have been inviting some of my neighbours around when I can, but our new living room is just awkward enough to not be able to accommodate many people playing several consoles at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

colour me interested

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

I'm in the sooner the better.Make it Happen GET HYPE :pac:

• Advertisement

Spread the word anyway and see what happens:pac:
    only thing that i can think of that would be a hassle is getting the equipment in and out of there. (TV's i wud imagine:confused:)

I can supply two monitors whenever I'm around - I live ten minutes walk from that building, so transport isn't an issue.

I can supply an xbox once i get mine back from the 360 graveyard

This would be a good way to expand the player base as some first timers mite be offput by the price of a tournament or even just the idea of one, also a neutral city centre location is more likely to attract people who don't post here yet. Sai can't really throw up posters with his address and phone number around town.

Might be no harm to post something about this on the competitive gaming forum as well. Not sure if this is allowed considering we have our own, just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Definitely interested, but as WasterEx has already said, monitors are probably going to be the biggest hassle.

Will everybody be playing on 360? What are the chances of a PS3 setup or two?

Chris IWS wrote: »
    Definitely interested, but as WasterEx has already said, monitors are probably going to be the biggest hassle.

Will everybody be playing on 360? What are the chances of a PS3 setup or two?

The reason I run the Tempests on 360 only is purely because I know more people willing to bring 360s to the events. If anyone has a PS3 and is willing to bring it there'd be no harm in setting one up at casuals.
    My stick's dual modded so it's all the same to me! :pac:

• Advertisement

I called into the venue Waster is talking about earlier.
    The place is in the middle of some hefty renovations/repairs and thus wont be available to us for a few weeks at the earliest - the guy running it asked me to call him back in 3-4 weeks to see how the room was coming along.
    The room itself is pretty perfect. It's massive and has 30-40 power outlets along the walls. At the moment there are almost no chairs and tables available, though he says he hopes to have some by the time the room is ready for use.
    They do have a large double sided projector screen, but no available projectors. Again, maybe he will by the time the room is done.
    The guy was pretty dead on too and was enthusiastic to have people in on a regular basis using the room. The €20 for 24hours price tag is even sweeter icing on the cake!

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have a damn fine center for Cork tournies/casuals!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best to make sure he doesn't mean twenty euro per person first.

Best to make sure he doesn't mean twenty euro per person first.
    Yar, I did XD
    It took me months to find a place for €70 before - €20 sounded far too good to be true.

The building is an arts centre like the Exchange in Dublin, but until very recently it had been left vacant for 4 years. The place is basically in shambles inside (After forcing open the 'automatic' front doors I had to walk through puddles from a broken radiator to get to the side access stairs because the elevators are out of order.) and they're trying to fix the place up and get people interested in using it - hence the low costs.
    The guy that's running the place was in building new partition walls before he gave me a tour.

It'll be an awesome place when it's fixed up, but it's very much a work in progress.

Sairus wrote: »
    Yar, I did XD
    It took me months to find a place for €70 before - €20 sounded far too good to be true.

The building is an arts centre like the Exchange in Dublin, but until very recently it had been left vacant for 4 years. The place is basically in shambles inside (After forcing open the 'automatic' front doors I had to walk through puddles from a broken radiator to get to the side access stairs because the elevators are out of order.) and they're trying to fix the place up and get people interested in using it - hence the low costs.
    The guy that's running the place was in building new partition walls before he gave me a tour.

It'll be an awesome place when it's fixed up, but it's very much a work in progress.
    When time the comes, i should be able to supply a projector maybe 2 of them even.
    Yeah it may be a month or two before its actually proper built up etc. When i was speaking to 'Joe' yesterday he was almost 100% positive the place could be used for casuals within the week:confused:. Would it be worth it to giv him a buzz and book the place or would you suggest waiting a while?

btw there may be a place in Ballincollig that could be used for tournys/ casuals. I might get info on it 2moro(its a big community hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Colour me interested here as well, though in such cases, I'd only be able to supply my own xbox as the idea of carrying around a monitor / TV from Midleton to Cork by train or the likes would be too awkward for my liking.

And truth be told, I was actually picturing the same place being used by us for a fighting game tournament as well, good to see this is actually happening ( though not for another few weeks. )

My stick's dual modded so it's all the same to me! :pac:

If I'm learning to play on A-stick I should really dual mod it but since I'm a lazy **** lmao is there anyone in cork who could do this ? and how much would it cost? btw I heard dual mod for 360 sticks are more hassel than ps3 sticks? anyway let me know :pac:

WasterEx wrote: »
    When i was speaking to 'Joe' yesterday he was almost 100% positive the place could be used for casuals within the week. Would it be worth it to giv him a buzz and book the place or would you suggest waiting a while?
    The place really isn't fit for playing in at the moment. There was a skip worth of crap that needs to be removed from the room before we could set up in there. Maybe he meant we could use one of the existing artist's studios or something, but he did basically tell me to call him back in a month.
    The room in question is a space with plug sockets, so technically we could have casuals any time, but it really is still an abandonned building under repair, complete with massive amounts of old discarded equipment and rubbish.
    Feel free to call him, but I'd give it a couple of weeks at least.
    VizardAnto wrote: »
    If I'm learning to play on A-stick I should really dual mod it but since I'm a lazy **** lmao is there anyone in cork who could do this ? and how much would it cost? btw I heard dual mod for 360 sticks are more hassel than ps3 sticks? anyway let me know
    Kiki's the gent and scholar who modded mine. Might be an idea to talk to him as I know very little on the subject. It was a great triumph for me when I stripped a wire and folded it to fit into one of the sockets on my board - and even then Kiki was telling me what to do! XD

The place really isn't fit for playing in at the moment. There was a skip worth of crap that needs to be removed from the room before we could set up in there. Maybe he meant we could use one of the existing artist's studios or something, but he did basically tell me to call him back in a month.
    The room in question is a space with plug sockets, so technically we could have casuals any time, but it really is still an abandonned building under repair, complete with massive amounts of old discarded equipment and rubbish.
    Feel free to call him, but I'd give it a couple of weeks at least.
    Cool, well anyway HOPEFULLY this works out to be a permanent place for us. It would be great. I'm pretty sure i'll bump into him again this weekend so if i get any news i'll let y'all know:pac:.

Crap -_- lol really wanted some casuals before the tournament since its Easter Hols :pac: would of been great timing unless someone has a free gaf and can set up for some games. :eek:

if not :(

If anyone wants to come over to my place on Saturday you're welcome to it.
    I was trying to figure out a set up to accommodate more consoles and I should be able to fit in three with some furniture adjustments.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to come over to my place on Saturday you're welcome to it.
    I was trying to figure out a set up to accommodate more consoles and I should be able to fit in three with some furniture adjustments.
    Excellent, i'm up for that anyway. I can easily donate a console, by the way, is there public parking close to where you live? :pac:

What time staurday, afternoonish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I thought this thread was about football hooliganism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

VizardAnto wrote: »
    If I'm learning to play on A-stick I should really dual mod it but since I'm a lazy **** lmao is there anyone in cork who could do this ? and how much would it cost? btw I heard dual mod for 360 sticks are more hassel than ps3 sticks? anyway let me know :pac:
    Quite the opposite, 360 sticks are LESS hassle to dualmod.

There are 3 different solutions for it too; I'll have a look at prices during the week if you're interested.

I'm in.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, 360 sticks are LESS hassle to dualmod.

There are 3 different solutions for it too; I'll have a look at prices during the week if you're interested.

Sure let me know not sure if I want this or not since I don't really use the A-stick or if its any use to me.I got the 360 TE Stick FYI.

WasterEx wrote: »
    Excellent, i'm up for that anyway. I can easily donate a console, by the way, is there public parking close to where you live? :pac:
    A console would be appreciated! :D There's public parking around the corner from my house, but it's not free as far as I know.
    Switch this map to satelite view and you'll see where it is. http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.894152,-8.469547&spn=0.003297,0.009645&z=17
    mackg wrote: »
    What time staurday, afternoonish?

Sometime around or after 3?

Beautiful, going to a gig in the evening so the early start is ideal, count me in

A console would be appreciated! :D There's public parking around the corner from my house, but it's not free as far as I know.
    Switch this map to satelite view and you'll see where it is. http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.894152,-8.469547&spn=0.003297,0.009645&z=17
    Ahh right. No probs:cool: What street is your house on? pm me your address or watever...:pac:lol

Count me in as well for this, Sai.

Should I bring my Xbox or is all that covered at this point?

• Advertisement

Hey guys, Sai ask me to post this.

Anyway, if anyone is coming tomorrow to the casuals and want to directions to Sai's gaff, just send him a PM. He won't be able to respond immediately, though, he is stuck on a bus for a while!

Also, you can come anytime after 3.

I plan on being there too so get HYPE!

Advertisement