Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings nesting - advice ?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I have bird's nesting around the gutters of my house , I'm fairly sure they are Starlings . The front of the house is getting destroyed with bird shit and my car is getting it even worse.
    I must stress that I would never try to move a nest that is occupied , a pain in the ass it may be but I do respect nature so I'm not seeking advice on how to get rid of them.
    I would like to know however when I can safely remove the nest , in otherwords when will they have vacated it ?
    Anything I can do to discourage future nesting ?

Again , I intend these creatures no harm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A related thread from last year
    It's probably a case of waiting about 2 weeks, perhaps a little longer assuming that hatching has occurred. I don't know various time frames for Starlings, no if someone can inform of length of time to hatching to fledging etc.
    On the other hand if eggs are only being laid now, the incubation time needs to be added.

When nest is vacated, there will be no need to remove nest, but to block access hole.

I wonder in mean time can you manage some plastic protection over the car? I realise much easier said than done particularly as wind and plastic don't go well together....

Hopefully others here will have more enlightened replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for that - the linked thread suggests that this should not go on too much longer ( they have been here almost 3 weeks already ).
    I'll keep an eye on them and block the access point once thay have vacated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I remember we had/have Swallows nesting in a shed/lean-to and their excrement was landing on a electric socket, so I just screwed a bit of metal sheet, bent along one side so it was like a shelf to catch the poo. Might be an idea!

Low cost, and didn't bother the birds

Advertisement