Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Pheasant) ID Help please.

Options
  • 12-04-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi new to boards. Came home today to see this in my back garden. Any ideal what type of pheasant it is?100_1225.JPG Not sure if image appeared.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Santasbird,

If you are linking to the image in e.g flickr or pix.ie then you can follow the instructions below from the Newbies and FAQ forum
    You don't have to have anything written in the Message box to embed a picture. Text can be entered before or after you insert a picture into your post
    Click the little square yellow box with tony mountains in the foreground. It looks like this:
    In the box that says "Please enter the URL of your image:", paste in the URL of the picture you want to embed in your post, and click OK

If you are uploading it from your own computer click on the "manage attachments" below the text box and you will see the appropriate options.
    Let us know if you're still having trouble with it.
    lb

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Thanks littlebug. Have tried to download from my computer. Here goes.

100_1225.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

It's a male pheasant with different head markings. Usually they have the white ring on their neck, thick or thin, some don't. When you reference a pheasant in your guide book, this is the picture that they usually show...

img5058s.jpg

Female on left, male on right, taken in Avoca, Co. Wicklow area Monday 11/04/2011.

Yes. I did look it up in my book and your picture is what I found. Thought it might have been a Reeves Pheasant. Colouring on head was the same. Possibly an escapee from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Reeves are sometimes crossed with normal Ringnecks to produce birds with longer tails.

• Advertisement

ok. That would explain the long tail.
    Ps. Was quite tame, I approached and it fed while I stood beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Wow, it's stunning! I'd love to have a visitor like that!

Yeah not bad for a suburban garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

a friend of mine released a few of these recently.
    1623_melanisticmutant.jpg

called melanistic pheasants.
    havent seen one myself but they look nice.

Advertisement