Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field trips in NUIM?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

So I've applied to NUIM for september.

I'm wondering does anyone know what the school year at Maynooth is like in terms of college outings?

Do you go on many trips organised by either clubs/societies you are a member of or by a class of people from your course?

Information on trips for English/Psychology/Sociology students would be recommended as I am doing all three through Arts.

Any other information on social life in NUIM would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Not sure about Psychology, but there definitely are no field trips involved in English and Sociology. The only arts subjects that I know for sure people go on field trips for are History and Geography.

Clubs and socs usually do have outings during the year. Clubs have intervarsities that can take place all around the country, societies might organise trips to see something in town etc...

With regards the social life in Maynooth, it's pretty good. There's the usual pubs and clubs, and then there's the Creative Arts Centre which opened recently too. Everyone is generally quite friendly so you should have a good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Well for Psychology there are no field trips anyway, and as for the clubs and socs, it really depends on which ones you join! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

MUCK (canoeing/kayaking), Surf club and the Rambling Club always do field trips away. Biology Soc and LGBTQ also have social trips away every year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

Not sure about Psychology, but there definitely are no field trips involved in English and Sociology. The only arts subjects that I know for sure people go on field trips for are History and Geography.

Clubs and socs usually do have outings during the year. Clubs have intervarsities that can take place all around the country, societies might organise trips to see something in town etc...

With regards the social life in Maynooth, it's pretty good. There's the usual pubs and clubs, and then there's the Creative Arts Centre which opened recently too. Everyone is generally quite friendly so you should have a good time!

I have never had to do a field trip for History, except the Venice trip, which is a little bit different to a field trip even still.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Medieval studies had one a few weeks back, thats the only course I have heard of having one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

European studies students went to Belgium for a week in January last year as part of their course work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Quinzy wrote: »
    I have never had to do a field trip for History, except the Venice trip, which is a little bit different to a field trip even still.
    Some people I know went to Normandy on one recently (masters students though). And in the past they've gone on trips into libraries/museums in town with their class to see stuff. I guess it depends on the modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

Some people I know went to Normandy on one recently (masters students though). And in the past they've gone on trips into libraries/museums in town with their class to see stuff. I guess it depends on the modules.

Actually, the Normandy trip has been opened up to BA students too, as is the Maastricht trip. I guess it is module dependent, but I've never really heard much about any sort of field trips, and certainly never gone on one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Quinzy wrote: »
    Actually, the Normandy trip has been opened up to BA students too, as is the Maastricht trip. I guess it is module dependent, but I've never really heard much about any sort of field trips, and certainly never gone on one.

I've already been to the National Gallery twice with my History elective this semester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

You go to one or two TV shows in Media Studies. The ones in my year were in Irish so I didn't go, the rest of the class had a laugh though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Would you go to see shows in English like a Shakespeare at the Helix in DCU or are they all acted out in the NUIM theatre down in the south campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

karaokeman wrote: »
    Would you go to see shows in English like a Shakespeare at the Helix in DCU or are they all acted out in the NUIM theatre down in the south campus?

From a First Year perspective, we had to see one play as part of the course, which ended up being Arrah-na-Pogue in the Abbey. This wasn't a formal field trip, though - they essentially linked us to where we could buy tickets and let us at it. Lots of people went in groups, but it wasn't overseen by anyone on staff. When studying Hamlet, we were similarly informed of the showing in the Helix, but there was no necessity to go, and I know of no one who did.

Advertisement