Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance - Krazy Kosts!

Options
  • 12-04-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm getting insane insurance quotes because of 2 accidents in 2 years, most places won't quote me but some will. Those that do, give me €2000+ quotes. My girlfriend had the idea of insuring herself on my car, and naming me as a named driver. This would save me €1600 and get me a years no calims (albeit as a named driver). Granted, it's not ideal but i don't have €2000 to spare (who does?). I passed this by my friendly insurer, for pig iron, and he reckons that no one will insure me next year because of that.

Is he just looking for business or does he have a point. I ran a simulation on 123.ie based on next years detail (and assuming I don't mill another ditch out of it) and they have no problem quoting me for €1000.

Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are you the registered owner of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭TheBigKahuna

Yes, I'm current owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I asked this before, insurance companies have a problem insuring the owner as only a named driver.

I'm getting insane insurance quotes because of 2 accidents in 2 years, most places won't quote me but some will. Those that do, give me €2000+ quotes. ..............Any thoughts?

An accident a year over the last two years, €2000+ seems a bargain. If you were an insurer would you be interesting in someone with a history like that. Plenty of folks out there with perfect driving histories to be insuring.

RoverJames wrote: »
    An accident a year over the last two years, €2000+ seems a bargain. If you were an insurer would you be interesting in someone with a history like that. Plenty of folks out there with perfect driving histories to be insuring.

Very true. But I'm legally required to have insurance. If I can't get insured, I can't drive - that's goodbye to my house & job, default on loans and inevitable bankruptcy. Besides, the last accident wasn't my fault, but because the culprit wasn't caught, it became my fault.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I've never had that problem. They usually ask if the car is registered in your's or your partner/spouse's name when insuring it.

Its4women.ie quoted her, so I don't imagine they have a problem with it. It's about the best option so I may go with it. And fingers crossed it doesn't go against me next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm getting insane insurance quotes because of 2 accidents in 2 years, most places won't quote me but some will. Those that do, give me €2000+ quotes. My girlfriend had the idea of insuring herself on my car, and naming me as a named driver. This would save me €1600 and get me a years no calims (albeit as a named driver). Granted, it's not ideal but i don't have €2000 to spare (who does?). I passed this by my friendly insurer, for pig iron, and he reckons that no one will insure me next year because of that.

Is he just looking for business or does he have a point. I ran a simulation on 123.ie based on next years detail (and assuming I don't mill another ditch out of it) and they have no problem quoting me for €1000.

Any thoughts?

good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Perhaps if you took some advanced driving tuition it may help lower your premiums and by the sound of your driving you may need it ...

Do you have a full Licence ?

Very true. But I'm legally required to have insurance. If I can't get insured, I can't drive - that's goodbye to my house & job, default on loans and inevitable bankruptcy. Besides, the last accident wasn't my fault, but because the culprit wasn't caught, it became my fault.

But you can get insured, you have gotten quotes that seem very fair to me considering your driving record. I was paying €500/€600 per annum third party f&t up until this year with a clean record and full ncb. Treble+ that for someone who was involved in incidents doesn't seem out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What type of car is it? I've been looking for quotes for the last few days, fair enough I haven't called any places only looked online, but I'm finding it difficult to get it cheaper than last year. Looking at 800 for a bloody 1.4 golf at 26 with full licence and insurance in my name for 3 years and 0 claims/points. Out of interest I changed the car type to a 2005 gti and the quote jumped to 1800. So 2000 isn't terrible, especially with 2 claims against you.

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Perhaps if you took some advanced driving tuition it may help lower your premiums and by the sound of your driving you may need it ...

Do you have a full Licence ?

Full Licence 5 years, first accident was ice, 2nd was oil. Had both accidents in 3rd gear. Passed my driving test first time 6 months after starting. Never ever put a dent, ding or scratch on my car - it all just boils down to bad luck.

Danbo! wrote: »
    What type of car is it? I've been looking for quotes for the last few days, fair enough I haven't called any places only looked online, but I'm finding it difficult to get it cheaper than last year. Looking at 800 for a bloody 1.4 golf at 26 with full licence and insurance in my name for 3 years and 0 claims/points. Out of interest I changed the car type to a 2005 gti and the quote jumped to 1800. So 2000 isn't terrible, especially with 2 claims against you.

You should be able to do way better than €800, FBD quoted me €750 with 2 years no claims a few years ago (and one of those years was named drver experience only). 25Plus are good, as are 123.ie. I'd actually get decent quotes from these people, even with past claims, if I just had my 1 years no claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I dunno OP, keep ringing brokers until you get a reasonable quote. No other way, regardless of fault.

Advertisement