Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space/Time continuum dilemma

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

A recent bill from our broadband provider arrived to our house seeking payment which seemed alittle outlandish. Upon further investigation the bill claimed our household was online for more hours than possibly conceivable for the month of March. How is this possible?

March 31 days

Hours in EARTH Day 24

Hours in March = 744

Bill was greater than 744 hours.... amidoingitrite?

In itself this does not represent a problem but due to the fact they are claiming we went over our broadband usage by 50%

Before we had a PC and laptop, the laptop is used for work(MSOffice&Email), so it doesn't see much youtube or the likes. I sold the PC in Jan/Feb and during March my laptop was being repaired in Germany and didnt return until atleast halfway through the month, it seems crazy I could have used so much, as previous statements peaked at 34 gigs. My question is could the time online and usage be coupled (false) and are they are charging us for something we never used?

If I refuse to pay the bill (still in contract) what will happen? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's the ISP?

Most (if not all) don't bill by calendar month, and they also don't bill by time, so the time online is rather irrelevant. You will be billed for usage over your cap, so if there are extra charges then it's because you went over the cap.

If you believe you did not go over the cap, then you need to take it up with your ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

Bill states charges are for 1 March to 31 March, why state that as billing period if you can get billed for time that is not in the month is beyond me... anyway took extra measures to secure wireless network with mac filtering just in case...

We are on 8mbps next gen broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

IQDENIED wrote: »
    Bill states charges are for 1 March to 31 March, why state that as billing period if you can get billed for time that is not in the month is beyond me... anyway took extra measures to secure wireless network with mac filtering just in case...

We are on 8mbps next gen broadband...

No fixed line isp bills by time online, they have a set charge per month(usually billing period is start to end of month but depends on isp), any extra charges attributed to your broadband bill would be for exceeding your download/upload cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

lambchops wrote: »
    No fixed line isp bills by time online, they have a set charge per month(usually billing period is start to end of month but depends on isp), any extra charges attributed to your broadband bill would be for exceeding your download/upload cap.

I never said they did bill me for online time... it's a feature that also shows usage in your account checkable online...

the fact any month cannot have more than 31 days (im pretty sure) so how could they say I was online for 32.666 days out of 31? If I went over the cap is another story, but I'd like to know if this could have been a blunder on ISP's behalf which could have been linked to DL limits idk... It seems dodge to me, did I also mention they wacked an extra E3.99 onto the bill for anti-virus which i never asked for? I'll try upload screenshot of bill later,

Sorry for delay in update was away..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I never said they did bill me for online time... it's a feature that also shows usage in your account checkable online...

the fact any month cannot have more than 31 days (im pretty sure) so how could they say I was online for 32.666 days out of 31? If I went over the cap is another story, but I'd like to know if this could have been a blunder on ISP's behalf which could have been linked to DL limits idk... It seems dodge to me, did I also mention they wacked an extra E3.99 onto the bill for anti-virus which i never asked for? I'll try upload screenshot of bill later,

Sorry for delay in update was away..

Whats the exact date of when the contract started?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

A recent bill from our broadband provider arrived to our house seeking payment which seemed alittle outlandish. Upon further investigation the bill claimed our household was online for more hours than possibly conceivable for the month of March. How is this possible?

March 31 days

Hours in EARTH Day 24

Hours in March = 744

Bill was greater than 744 hours.... amidoingitrite?

In itself this does not represent a problem but due to the fact they are claiming we went over our broadband usage by 50%

Before we had a PC and laptop, the laptop is used for work(MSOffice&Email), so it doesn't see much youtube or the likes. I sold the PC in Jan/Feb and during March my laptop was being repaired in Germany and didnt return until atleast halfway through the month, it seems crazy I could have used so much, as previous statements peaked at 34 gigs. My question is could the time online and usage be coupled (false) and are they are charging us for something we never used?

If I refuse to pay the bill (still in contract) what will happen? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Maybe its not an earth day they are using.
    Have you been using your laptop on the moon?

Advertisement