Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Android Questions...

Options
  • 12-04-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Ok,not for me (Im a iPhone man!) but a friend of mine.

Hes got a HTC Desire (not the HD) and he hasnt a clue how to close open apps.is there a way to do this?

Also,hes got a sky sports account and could watch for free on his last phone but the HTC Desire is looking for a Silver Light app to be installec,Ive looked on the android market for him but no joy,the only Silver Light I can see is eBooks relating to installing it on Mac or PC.

Thanks lads!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Sky sports not working on android yet. read somewhere it would be October by the time it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You can view/end whatever apps are running by going into Settings > Applications > Running services
    This isn't really something you need to do though... Android will end apps which haven't been used for a while automatically

Not a scooby about the second question...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

1) Android does it for you

2) Is a question for SKY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Cheers for the helpful replies.I'll pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you are on three you can watch sky sports. It's supposed to be only for Samsung but works on any android with flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

draffodx wrote: »
    1) Android does it for you

Not for me it doesn't, I had to download an app to do that for what should be a basic built in function to Android. All apps keep running after I close them, it's very annoying. Even the music player keeps on going after I close it, the iphone it's a one button press to either close the app or exit with it still running. I want a one button "kill switch" function for each app when I want to exit it and not have to navigate into menues to do it, its a right pain.

Android is very sloppy with the app handling compared to iOS4 imo and it's only thing I miss with iOS but it's very big one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

If you are on three you can watch sky sports. It's supposed to be only for Samsung but works on any android with flash.

no hes on eMobile
    Not for me it doesn't, I had to download an app to do that for what should be a basic built in function to Android. All apps keep running after I close them, it's very annoying. Even the music player keeps on going after I close it, the iphone it's a one button press to either close the app or exit with it still running. I want a one button "kill switch" function for each app when I want to exit it and not have to navigate into menues to do it, its a right pain.

Android is very sloppy with the app handling compared to iOS4 imo and it's only thing I miss with iOS but it's very big one to me.

hasnt that Kill All app got malware in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why is it sloppy? Android is managing the memory. Apps are designed to respond to states where the user leaves the app. Did you prefer IOS when you had to stop the music player to do any browsing?

how do you do this? I'm on three and never heard of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Not true - here is the low down on Android
    When you leave a program it records its state such as, what it was doing, if you typed anything, and even where you were at in that particular app.
    It then keeps this in active memory until another active program comes along and needs the memory/processor. Then Android automatically shuts down the furthest from use program. The Program is not really running in the background - its just ready to run.

When you go back to that program it starts again, loads the save state and it looks like it never shut down, even though it may have.
    Your "back" button is actually the "close application" button if you want to exit out of an application
    Have a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6gSd4ugSI

You really dont need a task killer as the system will do it automatically, saying that I do occasionally reboot the phone which will free some memory (I use an app called Fast Reboot)
    I am sure this will kick off some kind of Task Killer debate but I really dont see the need for one if the system is doing this for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

how do you do this? I'm on three and never heard of this

Just open it on your phone...

http://www.live.3ireland.g-box.tv/

iwo wrote: »
    Just open it on your phone...

http://www.live.3ireland.g-box.tv/

Brilliant mate, thanks for that. wonder how long it will last for

Advertisement