Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus laptop: Good choice?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

So I'm a college student with a 15.4" 2.7kg laptop that's dying and I'm looking to buy a netbook as I'm sick of carrying this big thing around. It'll mainly be for general internet and college work (open office mainly with some small chance of bloodshed or matlab) with some light gaming. That said, I don't plan on anything resource intenisve; I have a lot of old games (currently playing Abe's Oddysee more than anything else) and the most intensive games I plan on playing with it will be Source games and Puzzle Agent 2.

What I'm looking at is the Asus Eee 1215N. The specs are an Intel Atom D525(1.8GHz dual core), 2GB DRR3 and an nVidia Ion 2(512MB I think). It's 12.1" and weighs 1.5kg. The prices I'm seeing around the internet are in and around €500. Thoughts on the price and setup? €500 to €600 is pretty much my price limit. Higher than that and I'll be having to take out a loan to pay for it.

If that's ok then I want to know where to buy. I've been looking at online retailers in the UK and Ireland. The cheapest I've found (not including shipping costs) is from saveonlaptops.co.uk which comes out at about €490. Is this site trustworthy? Other places I've found it (for about €500 - €520) are Dabs.com, Dabs.ie and Elara.ie. Would these be better places to buy from or is there another place again that would be a better option?

Advertisement